myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
it;s official; worst season ever in 23 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget this fall's session with Hardie, Rocket Rick and the one and only Evans doing the first loops I've witnessed at Skaket.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey andy, missed hatteras this year for the first time in 12 seasons. usually good for 5/7 days in april and several over thanksgiving. truck is getting a little long in the tooth to trust for the 14 hour trip anymore. guess i missed a good year.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 is staying on track, with 2 hours W-WSW around 30 today in Hyannis. Had a fun session at the Kennedy Slicks. Chatham meter looked good in the afternoon, too.

That makes 3 out of 4 days with averages above 25 mph, although one of these had temperatures below freezing. Tomorrow morning also looks good for an early Hardings session, or perhaps bay side spots that work in low tide (Ellis Landing, Bayview, Indian Neck).
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Jeff, I hate to say it, but you bought the wrong gear! I mean your dry suit - the tube suit is just great at keeping you and your hands warm. Last session, it was so cold on the beach that I started to doubt my sanity. But on the water, I was perfectly warm. I was able to sail with open palm mitts and have warm hands, even though air and water must have been close to 32.

A baggy dry suit is still a great thing for touring on a SUP in cold weather, though.

you really like that Innovative wetsuit !

Just curious, what do you think of setting up a tube and "snorkel" mouthpiece system and tubes that just attaches externally to the wetsuit/drysuit to keep the hands warm? I really like the drysuit as far as convenience and being nearly dry all the time...for those of us without a van to change in Smile
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:
what do you think of setting up a tube and "snorkel" mouthpiece system and tubes that just attaches externally to the wetsuit/drysuit

With tubes on the outside of the suit, the air will loose too much heat on the way to your hands, so this will not work (Ian tried this first). I'm not even sure if routing the tubing through a thin (e.g. Boost or Kokotat-style) drysuit would work. The thick neoprene of the Ianovated suit makes you quite hot while sailing, and this heat keeps the air in the tubes warm (or even heats if further). There are a lot of details about the Ianovated suit that work very well together.

The suit is so warm that you can actually sit around in it on a windy 35 F day, without needing an extra jacket. My Boost drysuit or older 5/4 semidry would not let me do that, I'd get cold in no time. We usually derig in the wetsuit since it's probably warmer than if we'd first change back into dry clothes.

There's one danger with the suit, though: once you see how well it works, the usually "winter cool down" of the addiction to windsurfing won't happen. I am hoping to get at least 3 sessions in this week.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Hatteras being pretty good in 2012, especially the summer months (summer is really the "undiscovered" windsurfing season here and you all up north should come more often just before, or just after change in "summer" rental rates )! Only downside in 2012, as in 2011 was the destruction by two storms and cutoff of HI for most of the Fall season. Bummer for me since I actually live "close" in Nags Head, yet was cut off for the Fall wave season for two years in a row! Sure, caught some Sealion sessions in Nags Head on a few rare S wind days, but the predominant NE Fall wind patterns require that trek to the Lighthouse or south side.

Oh well, Hatteras summer was quite good and now the road is restored and Spring approaches as well as Summer 2013! Mild here too this winter so wave ops are ripe! Heck this coming weekend, WindGuru has model temps in the mid-60s with moderately strong S wind. Time to introduce the Sealion to 2013! Very Happy

Bill
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dayz on short boards down here in florida exceeded my expectations: 55. dayz on the wind SUP 11'8 120+ i prefer long boarding with a 7.5 or 6.8 with side off wind at about 10-15 with a waist to overhead swell. only had about 25 of those. most everything else was pretty onshore.

get a long board. bring along the right equipment for the cost of one vacation and get many more returns at home. not a whole lot of bitching coming from me other than, "get your heads out of maui, unless you live there." east coast USA ain't maui.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
east coast USA ain't maui.

At least up here on Cape Cod, the wind comes when it's a bit colder. That said, I've been colder sailing on Maui than I have been sailing here this January. Getting the gear to stay warm at 35 F air and 38 F water costs less than a new sail or carbon boom. Cold hands are no excuse anymore - the cold hand problem has been solved. The only other thing that's needed is a good hood and 7 mm booties.

So far, the first 8 days in January have delivered 3 nice sessions in Skaket, Kennedy Slicks, and Kalmus. Saw only one other windsurfer on the water (besides Nina and me) in these three days. Did not sail two more sailable days (> 2 hours of wind of 20+ mph, temperatures above freezing).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: