myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto on 5.5 today Reply with quote

Air 62F, water much colder. 5 sailors out on usual size gear for PA but everything was on opposite tack from normal (ESE wind). Trick was to launch on low water, sail downwind out the channel to escape the mud inside, then water was higher to sail back to the launch at end of session. 5.5 good for 60% planing, perfect in the gusts on 99L board. 5 happy smiles at the end, guess we got an early Xmas present. Now we don't care so much if the world ends tomorrow Smile
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Don I agree, great session yesterday at PA.

Sorry you missed the early nooner today. Four of us from 10:30 to noon (4.7, 5.2, 5.4, and a 5.6 waaaaaay opeed) powered on a full plane thru the mud on the return.

Could be a repeat tomorrow and Sunday for the ultimate end of the world sessions.

Nice that it hasn't rained much to foul the water. Very Happy
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Crissy Dec 26th Reply with quote

Good day! Took out my new Ezzy Tiger 5.2 in very powered up conditions!!! Nice sail and great December sailing. Very Happy
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Bodega, Wed. Dec. 26 Reply with quote

Gusty: 5.0 was not quite enough power in the lulls, though I did get a couple of waterstarts. 5.0 might've been enough with some rigging adjustments, but that would have required two trips through a mud slog with some deep and sucking holes in unfamiliar new locations after the storms.

The main problem for me today was the 155L board and relentless chop, in shallow and ebbing water too churned and murky to allow the depth to be readily seen. The board was all over the place trying to get waterstarted or uphauled (including catching gusts and flipping), though it behaved fairly well once I managed to get some headway.

My hands got cold quickly, but the 4/3 wetsuit was adequate once I acclimated. Not yet quite time for the 5mm hooded.

I ought to try a smaller board to see if that might help.

--- PS: reply to jse's comment on 155L board size

I agree that the 155L board is big. It's been a great board for transitional learning, which arguably is what I'm still mostly doing, and it's great for relaxation sailing on lighter days when few to no other people go out. It's not so fun in higher/gusty winds and especially in shallow water chop: yesterday's conditions and also typical for the upcoming early part of the season.

Last edited by dsgrntlxmply on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bodega, Wed. Dec. 26 Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
I ought to try a smaller board to see if that might help.

I think your 155 is a bit large for the kind of wind at Bodega.

I missed yesterday, stuck in an office building in S.F. Oh well, I checked off December last time Smile

Steve
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Third Ave. 12/26/12 Reply with quote

Score! 1.7 knot ebb and very powered on 5.2 and 94 liters. If it were summer, I'd have used a 4.7 and smaller board, but I needed the insurance of more volume to make sure I could get back in. It was pretty cold and raw but fun with shoulder high rollers setting up. One kite and about 7 windsurfers. Just a few of us in the channel.

Last week Arnie and I got one day outside Princeton Harbor jetty on NNW at surfer beach and one day inside the jetty on SE. There were more days, if you wanted to brave the rain.

The season never ends, it just changes.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: New Year's Day 2013 Reply with quote

WhooHoo, got out on the first day of the year!

Not much wind. Maybe 3 to 8 knots. Nine in some of the gusts. Launched at New Brighton with my 10'10" Angulo with Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah and sailed out to Bombora. Caught a few waves there and played around in that area. Then sailed to off of the Capitola jetty and came in towards shore. Sailed by the surfers and caught a wave to the east of them. After a decent ride I wiped out when trying to tack back. Felt cold for a bit. Went back out to Bombora, but no good sets coming in. Sailed back to New Brighton. While loading the van I saw Bombora was getting more active as the tide lowered. However it was getting crowded and the wind had died. My timing was perfect for my New Year's Day session.

I know it was not much, but it counts as a session. Wink
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Davenport 1/10/2013 Reply with quote

about 10 people attempting it about 5 out at a time on the North Peak.
It was the local hardcore crew mostly.
Air temperature without wind chill about 50 degrees according to the car.
It was breaking in the channel at times.
Burrrrrr it was cold just watching.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and one other at Tomales today. Good ebb going, and good wind too. Not too cold even.

Steve
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Coyote Point 1/10/13 Reply with quote

Five out from 4.6 to 7.0 race gear. Cold but manageable. Nothing epic, but can't complain.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 396 of 427

Jump to: