myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
jersey sailors, sunday 12/9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: jersey sailors, sunday 12/9 Reply with quote

Anyone thinking of catching the NE setup, which looks quite promising?
quigley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would you be launching ?
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dying to get out and sail. You can launcgh from Port Monmouth into the Raritan Bay (aka Spy House or Ideal Beach). Checked out the launch a week or two back and the parking lot is still in good shape and open for access. If the wind picks up, I may give it a go here. As for ocean side launches - Seven Presidents Park in Long Branch is open - I surfed there this past week. Suprisingly they sustained very little damage and erosion - engineers should study their dune system here cause it really worked well. Those are the only areas that i know that are open to the public. Heard Sandy Hook may be closed all of 2013 - any one know more details on that? Also, anyone know the status of Trixies or Allen Rd. launches?

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
Heard Sandy Hook may be closed all of 2013 - any one know more details on that? Also, anyone know the status of Trixies or Allen Rd. launches?

Rob

Did you get out? I haven't really even been watching the weather for the last month or so.

Spring Lake ocean is open. Boardwalk is gone, and their is debris on the beach, but you can sail there. I haven't checked out Trixies, but would like to get down there in the next couple weeks if possible to check it out. Last I heard it was still closed to non-residents, but that was a few weeks ago. I also heard that Sandy Hook is closed and sustained a lot of damage.

Debris is my biggest concern, especially bayside. Reallly not interested in smacking into a piling/tire/refrigerator/boat wreckage/etc at 20 to 30mph.

sm
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/nyregion/gateway-national-recreation-area-still-rebuilding-after-hurricane-sandy.html
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind never came up enough to sail this past sunday so I didn't go out. However, I did read in the AP press that there was a big beach clean up (by volunteers of Clean Ocean Action) along Ideal Beach this past Saturday so most of the big debris on the beach has been taken away. So that's some good new for this spot which is really under used. They are supposed to have another clean up on Jan. 19th - http://www.cleanoceanaction.org/ - look under Waves of Action for more info. I'll post more info on the clean up location(s) as I hear about it for those intrested.

Also, I read that work is progressing out at Sandy Hook and they are now targeting to reopen on Memorial Day weekend.

Beach access is open in Long Branch from Pier Village north up to the start of Monmouth Beach. This stretch is clear of debris and open to fishing/surfing, etc.

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the debris on the beach that concerns me, its the debris in the water. I was recently talking with someone from ocean port who said that something like 45 cars in his area were still unaccounted for - presumably washed into the river. I'm sure there is a ton of crap in NJ coastal waters that you really don't want to hit on a windsurf board.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: