myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterproof Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chophop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Waterproof Watch Reply with quote

Hey Guys:

has anyone found a good cheap watch that is really waterproof?

I have owned several in the last few years that are listed as water resistant to 50 m or 100 m or whatever and they all have leaked.
I assume that once they get condensation inside the crystal that it is only a matter of time till they fail altogether. So I have taken one or 2 back. I am looking for a watch that is high contrast large face for easy reading.

Any suggestions?

Do I need to spend a lot of $ to get a really waterproof one?

Thanks, Chophop
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you call cheap. I have had a Casio Pathfinder for about 7 years. Solar powered. Takes a pounding and is showing no signs of giving up. I think they run around $160 - 180. Big display, definitely waterproof.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: WP Watch Reply with quote

I use a Casio WR. About $20 as I recall at K-Mart. Water Resistant and has never leaked even when free-diving. Windsurf with it all of the time. Has a calculator as well and the keys have never leaked. Dislpay #s are only about 1/4 I high , however. So may not suite you.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timex triathlon, $20'ish, can't remember, I've had it so long. I've always bought cheap WP watches, never had a problem.
BUT, I never wear them in the shower, that can kill the seal via expansion, don't do that, and any cheapy should work.

The only reason I replace them every now and then, is because after awhile I can't read them, usually due to a scratched up lens (I'm in construction), or because I need bigger numbers as I get older.
My Timex has the biggest numbers ever.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Fossil watches. I just replaced one that I had used for windsurfing for 20 years: lakes, pacific ocean, gulf coast, hot summer, cold winter. No problems. They run about $100. As always, you get what you pay for.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterproof Watch Reply with quote

chophop wrote:

Do I need to spend a lot of $ to get a really waterproof one?

Using Nike Boweman watch for about 6 years. Being to sea water, pool water, cold water - no problems. Did not replace the battery yet. Large digits under glass(?) lens. Got them for something like ~$10 at one of the big stores in a big pile of cheap stuff.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f29/511055d1315684628-fs-nike-triax-speed-50-bowerman-wr0129-$30-nike-2.jpg
justall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having my watch on my mast, right above the boom. I've used a waterproof G-shock. It hasn't leaked and has taken a good many poundings. I think it was about $60 ... not super cheap but has performed as advertised.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a constant reminder that you need to be somewhere else. Not sure
I'd like that, but it would be good for that last day of your trip, when you
need to catch a plane. I might try it.

-Craig

justall wrote:
I like having my watch on my mast, right above the boom. I've used a waterproof G-shock. It hasn't leaked and has taken a good many poundings. I think it was about $60 ... not super cheap but has performed as advertised.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have on old Timex Ironman Triathelon I paid about $20 for and put an EK USA velcro extension strap on it to fit over the wetsuit $6. Has taken a beating over the last 15-20 years and broke a few buttons but still works. I bought Timex Expedition $22 a few years back as I thought the old would die but has not. Expedition looks exactly like the Triathelon but says 100M water resistant on the front instead of Ironman.
Cheap and durable.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Casio G-Shock is 14 years old and still works fine. It's sailed Maui, Hatteras, the Carib, and lots of Long Island water time. I think they go for $100 these days. Had to have the battery changed a few years ago, but that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: