myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another new outright speed record: 65.37 kts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Another new outright speed record: 65.37 kts Reply with quote

VESTAS Sailrocket blew all others out the back with a blistering run over 500 meters with an average speed of 65.37 knots. Peak speed was 67.74 knots!

Congratulations to Paul and the team. That should put the record out of reach for some time.

gobbdogg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 mph!!! That's fast- only one comment- seems that they can only sail starboard tack- so they must be towed to the start- I'd be more impressed if they could sail either direction.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang!
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gobbdogg

i have heard that even the windsurf speed machines are working on running only on the one side !!! specialized fins, sails , etc ...
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read that about some of the sails... didn't know it was inclusive of boards, fins... Doesn't look like the latest shots are one way gear- be curious to know the facts..
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg wrote:
75 mph!!! That's fast- only one comment- seems that they can only sail starboard tack- so they must be towed to the start- I'd be more impressed if they could sail either direction.

This is not at all uncommon for record setting sailing craft. These boats (and windsurf kits) are built specifically for the purpose of breaking records and are totally unpractical for any other use. They often have many other limitations such as only capable of sailing on very flat water, limited windspeed range, etc.
One-direction craft can be highly optimized (assymetrical foils can be used) and all of the extra equipment and structure necessary for two-direction sailing can be eliminated (which means lighter weight structure).

sm
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Sail Rocket to Sailboard Reply with quote

Congratulations to the Vestas SailRocket team. They took the idea of the 40 Knot sailboat ( a book) and worked it to an extreme that got themselves this record that is a leap beyond the prior one.

Plus, in gettting there, they solved their hydrofoil cavitation problem. Great engineering feat! Actually the whole effort was one engineering feat after another.

Now, can any of it be carried over to windsurfing? Maybe. How about no fin on the board itself, but a outrigger to windward with a foil similar to the SailRocket's and a lightweight sailor, instead of the heavies, since the rig will be canted windward, and balance out with the foil? Of course the trench might need widening;)

Windward1
MrFish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An outrigger or something like that and it wouldn't be windsurfing. It would be something else. That's why I find what windsurfers and yes kiters too are doing here is more interesting, it's closer to what people really do, and the skill level to do it is so much higher than just sitting there on a cockpit.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused after reading some of the comments. Is this device better or worse that a kiteboard even if I can't sail it to the dough-nut stand and back??

Now I'm going to have to watch the video to see what it is. If it sets a world record who cares how practical it is.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. the worlds fastest wind powered craft.

And, might I add that it might be possible to duplicate some of the design
features into a smaller version (like a windsurf board with an outrigger,
and a faired cockpit). You might have to call it something like
the "windsurf rocket", but I think there's potential there, if you can
get the system stable at speed.

-Craig

westender wrote:
Now I'm going to have to watch the video to see what it is. If it sets a world record who cares how practical it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: