myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge people insane in hawaii? On video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merriam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Mchaco, the guy was a prick. Watch the video again it's apparent the real motivation is basic male behavior. Showing off for the beach babe. Pushing the boom two inches into the sand does nothing to improve its safety.
Isobarsbras, didn't notice any toddlers down the beach.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have just left the backpack on the rig in the first place. IF the guy had come over and said, "hi would you mind putting something on the sail or securing it a bit more so that I would feel better", he probably would have gotten a nice response. Ive had a rig and sail cometumbling at me at full speed and just barely bounce over my head so Ive seen the danger, but in this video that sail was pretty well under control and didnt warrant that response
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha, so this isn't about safety at all, it's about garnering a mate.

;*)

-Craig

merriam wrote:
Totally agree with Mchaco, the guy was a prick. Watch the video again it's apparent the real motivation is basic male behavior. Showing off for the beach babe. Pushing the boom two inches into the sand does nothing to improve its safety.
Isobarsbras, didn't notice any toddlers down the beach.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, something to do on another rainy night. I have been to Maui several times and I have lived and sailed in the Gorge for over twenty years. I have also sailed in Oregon, Washington, Mexico, Baja, Wyoming, California, the Dominican Republic, and even once in Israel. I have never left my sail unattended on the beach, (for long), and have never been accosted by an irate "local" with bad teeth. I have, of course, owned every palce I have ever sailed... As long as you don't count the 80 grit dermabrasion on the Kua reef.

I also have two children, usually strategically located down wind. I used to put them up wind, but they had an annoying habit of throwing sand to see how far it would blow before landing on my pristine rig. Now I set them up far down wind, by the kiters. They like the pretty "parachutes" and have a ball turning the lines into spaghetti.

I even had a girlfriend once who looked like the young lady in the clip, if thongs had been invented twenty years ago. Like her, my gal couldn't have given two shits about the little brah spat except that it was blocking her sun and potentially ruining the even tan on her cheeks.

Annoyed, she would have turned to both of us and said, "I thought you were going windsurfing".
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that humor?
merriam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, also it's an anthology.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it's SOP to bring one's board down to the water first, then the sail so the sail is not left unattached/unattended. that was explained to me very nicely the first time I sailed in really windy conditions when I brought the sail to the water's edge first, and a more experienced sailor saw it and tied my uphaul to a boat rack and then when I came back with my board, he very nicely explained that I should bring the board first, then the sail, and explained why. It was a low energy, instructive moment. nothing like the exchange in the video.

What was interesting to me is how the instructor guy said something about not leaving the sail unattached/unattended at Kanaha, like the wind is sooo different there. anyway, agree that all should have been nicer to each other.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean really, wind on the beach + air foil lying on said beach = flying object. I agree, instructor dude was not the most tactful person in what he said, but you should know better. Perhaps the babe with the thong caused a temporary lapse in mental faculties.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
all should have been nicer to each other.

We still don't know whether the instructor has seen someone hurt by flying gear, or he's tired of telling 47 people to secure their gear, or he's a jerk ... or all three. "Rachel of Cardholder Services", political beggars, siding salesmen ... all were treated as human beings at their first few hundred calls to my home. Now I keep a freon horn, a bicycle horn, and a mouthful of venom at every phone in the house, of which many of the last several thousand (no exaggeration) phone spammers got a boatload. After refusing to honor my endless requests to put me on Do Not Call lists, they get what they deserve.

Maybe the instructor is simply out of patience with idiots, and is tired of separating the merely careless from the genuine idiots.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiots or careless, no difference to the person who gets smacked by the sail. if you do not know enough to keep your sail under control at the beach, what else that is really basic do you not know? and please take more lessons or yourself to another beach. i have no problem with what the instructor did. if you do not want to be treated like a******, do not act like one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: