myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge people insane in hawaii? On video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bret the guy that drives the white chevy PU from NY??
dennis1916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post was on Youtube because I was curious to see what the yapping was all about. Likely the best move would have been to thank anyone who says anything like that, fix it, and move on to more important stuff. Important meaning, be safe, and watch from 1:14 to 1:19 of the video for the most important part of the video to beware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpXmtnWc24&feature=related
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it many times, even when the sail is attached to the board, it can be a hazard to others on the beach if not placed appropriately. Safety is first - never leave your sail unattended without an anchor of some sorts, especially in the wind. We have seen so many damaged sails, car dents, broken windows from people leaving their sail's unattended at the upper parking lot at Kanaha that drive's me, well INSANE! The instructor was correct in making that point and a more considerate response should have been thank you. Some peeps are unconscionable.
Bond1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt these guys were a bit too casual about their sail placement. But to be fair, when I watch the video, I see very little sign of wind. There's a little wind noise on the mic when they're running, and a hint of a slight breeze in the trees. There's enough wind that the guy has to adjust how he's carrying the sail at one point. But overall it doesn't look like the sort of wind that would catch a sail while laying on the beach the way they had it. But like I said, they were a bit too casual about sail placement, and should have been more careful.

The instructor's aggressive approach got the sort of response he might have gotten from any of us. He was clearly agitated from the start, probably because he sees stuff like this all the time. But it's not the sort approach one might want to take if you really want to get your point across. But in his defense, I think he used the word "unsafe" rather than "insane". And he had a good point.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "It's all good" response, though, is so typical of today's people who just don't care about others' concerns. It's right up there with "Whatever" and "Chill, dude" as three euphemisms for "F You".

Cars blocking access to launch sites, rigs blocking paths into the water, cars parked under NO PARKING signs (the Hatchery has been closed due to that), untended sails in serious wind, loose dogs damaging gear/biting/crapping, awnings and BBQs and WSing gear blocking parking places on crowded days, people deliberately rigging ON your sail to keep theirs off the gravel, strangers parking you in ... we've all seen such selfish behavior SO many times that it's understandable when someone gets angry about it. Can you imagine how many times this full-time instructor has seen haole turrists' rigs tumbling down the beach? Some people just don't think, or maybe even care, about others. (This video looked windy to me, but that's not definitive, so we don't know the whole story here.)
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much ado about nothing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to the parents whose toddler's life was threatened by an untended sail.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy was being a dick and got the response anyone would have given if some stranger starts running up,cursing in your face and demanding that you do something. It looked alright to me, the guy was 2 feet away from it and it wasnt even moving around. It doesnt seem like a "mainlander vs hawaiian thing...
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In late summer, a pro WS was taken down at the shoreline by another WS who let go of their gear. He was knocked down and suffered an knee injury all because of some kook not being responsible for their gear. If it is east wind it is seldom windy at the beach, however, because of the swirling winds that accompany east winds you will get blasts of wind that swirl at the beach and parking lot that will take your gear instantly. So it doesn't matter if it appears that there is no wind, there may not be at that moment but as soon as you walk away and turn your back on the gear... well you get my drift it only takes a second. It's not always all about yourself and courtesy goes a long way where ever you are. Just have some common sense.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis1916 wrote:
watch from 1:14 to 1:19 of the video for the most important part of the video to beware of.

I had to watch it twice.

The approacher could have been ever so slightly more diplomatic, but his point was valid. During board tests at that spot, every so often a sail would get left unattached as someone was switching boards or writing up a test sheet, and we'd find ourselves chasing it down the beach. Usually just a slight moment of embarrassment, but the truth is, someone COULD get really hurt.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e11-going-native

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: