myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sandy damage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quigley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Sandy damage Reply with quote

Hey N.j. windsurfers
Does anyone know how the launch at Trixies and Seaside's marina on the bay made out from the storm. Is Sandy Hook open ? Is windsurfing cancelled for this year Sad
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about seaside, but the lavallette borough website currently says not to even attempt to access the island. I suspect seaside has the same restriction. These barrier islands were devastated by the storm. As I understand it, LBI currently allows limited access to residents only. I heard that Trixies marina was battered from the storm as well, but haven't heard anything about the windsurfing launch. I'm afraid it will probably be quite a while before bay side windurfing access is restored.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, access to most of the better known windsurfing sites in NJ will be closed for quite a while. Also, from what I've read on local surfing forums, the water quality in the bays is especialy bad right now both with sewage and floating debris - oceanside is much better. Here is what I've read from local resources:

-Sandy Hook - the main access road in to the park has been completely washed out in some sections and overlain with up to 6 ft of sand in others. Many of the parking lots are in similar condition and loaded with debris. The park is currently closed; maybe we'll have some limited access later this winter? Note - there is another alternate launch from the Highlands side of the bay where there is a county park. This area was flooded but I'm not sure of the conditons or if it's open yet - I'll check into this and report back.

-Bayside/Oceanside Launches in Lavallette and Seaside - Rt. 35 south through Bayhead/Mantoloking is closed due to one or more new inlets cutting through the road - this will take months to repair and reopen. Access over the bridge from Toms River is limited only to residents. I would expect access to these barrier islands to be off limits for several months. Maybe open to sailing this spring?

-Access to the bay from spots like Allen Rd., Trixies, Shelter Cove etc. may be possible in the future. If anyone knows the status of these, please post an update.

-Spy House/Ideal Beach/Port Monmouth - Water quality is very bad in Raritan Bay from sewage. It is currently closed to all fishing. I know from experience that floating debris can be a problem here during high tide before the storm. I'm sure it's really bad now. This area was hit really hard by the storm surge and tidal flooding and not sure what is accessible. I'll try and take a ride over through this area next weekend and report back.

From what I've seen via pictures, the destruction is unbelievable from Sandy Hook down to AC and people are really suffering so be sensitive to this and respect them and the authorities.

I'll try and post more info as I get it.

If anyone else has an update on their locations, please try and post.

Hope to see you all on the water soon,

Rob
richhotdog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told today that there is a good chance Sandy Hook will be closed all of 2013.The roads are destroyed. Sailing out of Highlands is out now also. Pompano point is operated by Monmouth county parks and will not open it till it is safe and clean. I think sailing in N.J. is over for 2012.If anybody knows differently let me know.
Rich
quigley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Don t give up yet ! How about NE winds at Laurel Blvd. or Trixies on Sunday ?
richhotdog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waste treatment plant has been putting raw sewerage into the bay and there is alot debris floating around. Can you get to laurel anyway?
quigley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I m not sure about the damage in that area. Are there any sailors who have been able to check out the launches on the mainland side of the bay ?
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by the old Spy House beach (aka Ideal Beach in Port Monmouth) on Raritan Bay yesterday and the parking lot is open and people were walking on the beach so it's open to the public. Lots of heavy erosion along the shoreline and dunes here but the water is open and clear for sailing access. It's real good here on a northwesterly as an alternate option to Sandy Hook. Thinking maybe about going out early this afternoon.

Rob
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wondering about water quality, check here for the latest sampling by NJDEP: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandy.html

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove down to Trixies today. The gate at the windsurfing launch was locked. Some of the wooden fence was knocked down with cones up. The gate into the main park at the end of Brennan Concourse was also closed and locked, and sections of the road in the main park were washed out. Still lots of rubbish and evidence storm evidence in the area.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: