myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing re-instated in the Olympics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pe4387

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing re-instated in the Olympics Reply with quote

Just yesterday each country known as a "Member National Authority" voted at ISAF Conference in Dublin, Ireland. Men's and Women's Windsurfing is back in 2016 Rio Olympics. Kiting is out. Thanks to all the folks who signed the petition (over 32,000 strong) and participated in the fight since May.

It was never against kite board racing or kiting but rather not by eliminating the Windsurfing Class in the Olympics. ISAF Council should have eliminated one of the fixed mast class if Kite Board Racing was all the ready for the Olympics.

I have suggested that Beach Olympics would be a great Olympic sport: windsurfing races, slalom, and freestyle, kiting freestyle and races, SUP paddling races and SUP Windsurfing, beach multihulls, and possibly surfing along with Beach Volleyball.
DriverA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20284543
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phew - that was close. I bet Neil Pryde is happy, or maybe he doesn't care because he makes equipment for both sports.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad windsurfing is back in, although I was looking forward to seeing where the kites went with the "box rule," hoping that would eventually allow formula windsurfing to be the Olympic class. I definitely agree that it's not helpful to windsurfing or kiting to squish them into the one-design sailing mold, and that a "Beach Sports" approach to both classes would be nice.
danothemano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Bwahahahahaha! Reply with quote

Once they realized what they were voting for, it was a no-brainer.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
phew - that was close. I bet Neil Pryde is happy, or maybe he doesn't care because he makes equipment for both sports.

Neil Pryde is definitely happy about this decision to retain windsurfing. He was a major force behind the appeal to get windsurfing re-instated.

Certainly he would also agree with most of us that kiteboarding would also be fine in the olympics.

It really is absurd that there has to be a "high noon" type showdown / smackdown between these two sports to determine which lives (in the Olympics) and which dies. As mentioned by others here: they didn't remove skiing from the Olympics when they added snowboarding!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the differences, as I understand it, are that snow sports are covered live on real TV (not streaming), people actually watch snow sports coverage, and therefore snow sports coverage gets sponsors. Not so with sailing sports. so, fewer sailing sports than snow sports in Olympics.

I think there are already too many sports and events in the Olympics and they should just have the marathon, wrestling, and javelin.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
I think there are already too many sports and events in the Olympics and they should just have the marathon, wrestling, and javelin.

Don't forget the long jump and discus! The original five.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: