myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best sails for nolimitz original rdm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we were derigging yesterday at C Street, I noticed that Kevin McGilvary was using a No Limitz original bottom with a Sumo top. Kevin has been a sponsored sailor by both Gaastra and No Limitz for quite some time. He said that the Sumo top improves the shape and performance of the top part of his sail.

I have an original 400cm No Limitz that I'm now using for my Windwing 4.2, 4.6 and 5.0. While the mast works well, I find that it's a bit softer up top than the Italian made Hansen RDM mast that I used previously. The Hansen had the same bend curve as the Italian made Gulftechs (I have a 430cm GT), and I have found that their bend curve was ideal. The bend curve of the Hansen and Gulftech was 64/76.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
While we were derigging yesterday at C Street, I noticed that Kevin McGilvary was using a No Limitz original bottom with a Sumo top. Kevin has been a sponsored sailor by both Gaastra and No Limitz for quite some time. He said that the Sumo top improves the shape and performance of the top part of his sail.

the mast rep at N/L RYAN KOLBERG told me this works for Gaastra. Andy at Wind NC has been doing this also.

at the time it didn't make sense to me, and still doesn't the only size that the Sumo is stiffer than the original is 460

so again the numbers don't tell the whole story.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that chart as well. But my brand spanking new Severne Red Line 400 RDM has a similar bottom to that chart but a 78.5% top for a 14.5 difference vs. the charts 9.8. So, as you say, numbers don’t tell the whole story & apparently the 2012 Naish Sessions are rigging fine on Nolimitz skinnies.

Coachg
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has said so far, your new NoLimitz Originals should work reasonably well with most any sail.

Tushingham and Pryde prefer a flexier top

Gaastra, Maui Sails, Severne, and Naish prefer a stiffer top.

Pretty much everything else is close enough to being right in the middle that it shouldn't really matter.

The mixing and matching of NoLimitz halves is a pretty sweet tool to have in your back pocket. It's a very cost effective way to match up your sails with appropriate masts. Regardless of numbers, it basically allows you to fake a relative bend curve- ie, a top that doesn't bend as soon as the bottom, or vice versa, to match what your sail wants.

U2U2- you're correct in that the SUMO and Original do both have similar numbers, but when you rig one right after the other, you'll notice that it seems to take more downhaul tension to get the sumo to bend. It takes one hand to downhaul with an Original, while it takes two hands to downhaul the Sumo, even though the sail will look exactly the same after you get it to the right spot. So, they bend at the same places, it just seems to take more "uumph" to get the Sumo there.

So when you then go ahead and mix and match, the Original section will bend before the Sumo section.

Hope that makes sense? Question Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Yes, I saw that chart as well. But my brand spanking new Severne Red Line 400 RDM has a similar bottom to that chart but a 78.5% top for a 14.5 difference vs. the charts 9.8. So, as you say, numbers don’t tell the whole story & apparently the 2012 Naish Sessions are rigging fine on Nolimitz skinnies.

Coachg

Severne does not publish their mast bend curves, that I can find.

Both charts that I linked show them to be pretty darn stiff top.

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthread.php/64728-Mast-compatability-and-Unifibre-masts-data?highlight=severne+mast+curve

you will see some reference to them here as well, the poster from the Gorge is in the industry.

I have no issue whatsoever that Naish are rigging fine on N/L, the masts are probably close enough to work, and the Sessions have enough range to accommodate .

The Naish Firestick mast and the N/L are curved different.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:

U2U2- you're correct in that the SUMO and Original do both have similar numbers, but when you rig one right after the other, you'll notice that it seems to take more downhaul tension to get the sumo to bend. It takes one hand to downhaul with an Original, while it takes two hands to downhaul the Sumo, even though the sail will look exactly the same after you get it to the right spot. So, they bend at the same places, it just seems to take more "uumph" to get the Sumo there.

So when you then go ahead and mix and match, the Original section will bend before the Sumo section.

Hope that makes sense? Question Laughing

it does make sense what you said, but my mind says it shouldn't work that way, based on the numbers given for the N/L curves. I can't contradict what you and others have experienced first hand. I do see we agree on the sails that the N/L mast should work in OR NOT WORK IN

NoLimitz does have awesome customer service and only a phone call away

dgcwind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for all the replies. and the northwave idea is very intersting. i had not heard of them since they aren't in the mags and arent sold around here. (ontario). i like that they are north american made
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgcwind wrote:
the northwave idea is very intersting. i had not heard of them since they aren't in the mags and arent sold around here.

SEARCH the forum for them. Their following in the Gorge is immense. They haven't bothered with the magazines since the mid-90s, largely because they can barely meet production demand as it is. The wait time for a matched quiver of new Northwaves is usually several weeks, whether off-the-shelf or highly customized. They're the only brand of WSing sails still made in North America, and the only brand many people will buy. Check their website and phone 'em; now is about that time of the year they offer their best prices, with hefty discounts for 2013 sails to keep the loft humming all winter.

Mike \m/
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgcwind wrote:
thanks a lot for all the replies. and the northwave idea is very intersting. i had not heard of them since they aren't in the mags and arent sold around here. (ontario). i like that they are north american made

ya, ive ordered five sails and two masts from them this year.. very happy with them, and find theyre very competitively priced if you order a quiver, and then there are discounts on chinook/nolimitz too.. nice to be able to pick colours and materials as well. and you can also save a bit of money,if you act as your own broker, easy to do if youre near a customs office.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Northwave story. Probably close to 15 years ago I was
riding a quiver of HOT AWOLs. These were not bad sails in their
own right, but we were rigging at Mosier, and I saw a Northwave
Surflite rigged on the beach there. It looked dead flat (in fact it was
all around weird looking with no batten tensioners and only 4 battens,
and I remember thinking, that can't possibly work well. The AWOLs
of the time had a deep draft set by a camber inducer (as I recall).
Anyway, those who sail Mosier know that it's almost always a sail
size smaller on the far side of the river and this particular day, it
was wickedly stronger on the other side. So much so that I was
really struggling to survive on my 4.5, and then along comes this
Northwave guy on his 4.7, and he's just ripp'n it up on the far side
(where the swells are) in total control. I'm sure most of the difference
was actually the sailor, but at the time I though, I need to try those sails.
15 years later, I'm still riding them.

I do not work for Northwave (but I have drunk their free beer and eaten their free hotdogs).

-Craig

dgcwind wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: