myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark Attack at Davenport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: sharks are boring Reply with quote

Sharks have evolved for over 400 million years to become the top ocean predator, this fishy is born to win... Now your injuries are comparable to a paper cut. If that fishy wanted to eat you he would have - or if you wanted to bit its fin you would have. So these is just some fish game - nothing to worry about.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...
Besides supposededly US, I thought the top of the food chain out in the blue was the KillerWhale, especially hungry packs of Killers.
No adult white stays around when a Pod is coming around. They all leave the area ASAP. Even the 21' + females, and their 17'+ brethern in the N of Farallones stick anywhere near their territory when a Pod comes around.
Juveniles, of course, like stupid kids, don't know better and are often lunch snacks for KillerWhales.
SHREDX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnar
I'm stuck in Los Barriles waiting for hurricane Paul to exit. It's the annual migration from the Gorge to here. I'm going back for the dogs & wife whenever.

What a bummer to have your day screwed up by a lousy shark. Good thing you have all that time on the water. I hit a 25ft+ whale shark a few years ago - my fin disappeared & also went eye to eye with a breeching grey whale here in Mexico. I'm still kickin.

Did you hear Rodney (Solo San Carlos CEO) is RIP? In Canada, heart. The Lord of the Winds goes off in January here - plan on some sick leave. Best wishes, Don N2672X
bonuslife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don. Nice to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear about Rodney. Baja won't be the same without his motorcycle riding flair and keeping things running smoothly behind the scenes. He was one cool dude.

That's a good perspective; it was just a day (albeit one that I'll never forget). I wouldn't even say it was ruined -- I still had an awesome session and now I have a hell of a story to tell. Sounds like you do, too. Enjoy your next adventures, whatever they may be!
joeray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Davi Sharks. Reply with quote

I saw a big one 16' plus (10 to 12' between the dorsal and the tail outside the break a few days before this incident.
Joe Ray
joeray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: And Reply with quote

A seal kill in action was recorded in a photo just off the beach at Waddell by Josh Nehf last week.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Gunnar, Glad you are ok, It was looking really light that evening, too light to waterstart on the inside. I think when we were talking at the picnic table with the surfer we/you mentioned the large number of the birds/pelicans diving for fish.

BTW: I may be selling all of my windsurf gear for cheap now, moving to Midwest.

.....kidding {:~].
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Davenport - That was likely a Great White. From what I have learned about shark behavior, once you survived the initial bump, you were probably safe. The shark realized you weren't it's normal food and left you alone. However, if you had been in the water at the time of the attack things could have ended up much worse. It still likely would have left you alone after the initial attack but you would have sufferred more severe initial damage.

Re: Maui - Tiger sharks behave much differently. They don't rely as much on the element of surprise. They will bump and come back. IMHO they are more dangerous.

I am glad it worked out okay for both of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: