myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does this sound like you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really really, like to bug all you grammar minded students of life. It kills the boyz in the tennis forums, it drives the guys nutz in the surfing forums, and I got banned for it in the old Starboard forums.. Very Happy with some selected comments on the doggieness of the HyperSonic slug.
I failed Englilsh 6 in junior high. MrsLynch gave me a D+ because I was the star of the junior high 90's exponent basketball team. I learned to hate Engilsh grammar since.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this sound like you? Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

6. Jibing, if you want to plane through your jibes, the EASIEST way is a broad reach to a broad reach. Scary fast into the jibe, leaning INTO the turn (not leaning back and sinking the tail). Lots more to jibing than just this, but really being powered up with the RIGHT sized sail and entering the jibe from a broad reach and exiting to a broad reach makes the jibe so much easier....

I feel like you were sitting on the beach watching me jibe Laughing For the record..Im not scared to go fast, im just bad at jibing. I go super fast into jibes quite often and have many spectacular crashes to show for it Very Happy
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed about many people who seem like theyve sailed a long time and other wise are competent is that they never sheet in and seem to be happy plodding along barely planing. Not that I wasnt guilty of this myself at first, but as I got used to the harness everything gradually closed up. Im always puzzled when I blast by them as the plod along half sheeted in then I do a spectacular crash during my jibe and they calmly jibe around me and continue plodding along the other way..
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, that doesn't sound like me, nor anybody I sail with.

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
One thing I noticed about many people who seem like theyve sailed a long time and other wise are competent is that they never sheet in and seem to be happy plodding along barely planing.

I'm totally convinced that some people simply don't like to even fully plane, let alone go fast. I've known "Sally" for decades; she never rigs to plane her little Gorge board. Her fastest speed, in the biggest gusts, is only arguably a plane. Yet she continues through most jibes at the same speed.

Then there's moi, who likes to blast most of the time but whose jibes went to hell years ago. Some days they're great, some days they suck, and I can't feel or analyze the difference.

I'd rather be me than Sally, and only partly because if I'm making them all, I know I'm not pushing myself to improve.

But, man, these hordes who sail just great even in big wind and terrain but stall EVERY jibe deliberately ... what's with that?
sunchips

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
... I don't think there is ONE windsurfer over 215 lbs who always waterstarts with the backfoot on the board.

220ish here, always 8ack foot waterstart. In light wind I just place my 8ack foot further forward. However, having read this thread, I am going to start trying front foot starts too.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a topic only worthy of the fall doldrums.

To tell you the truth, the only time I worry about water start technique is when the winds dies and I wonder if I will be able to even do it. When well-powered, technique does not seem to matter at all - it all just happens. I can't really recall what exactly I do.

I do see a lot of experienced sailors doing the 2-foot start though. It sort of surprises me.

This summer I water-started at Swell and felt something tugging on my back ankle, sharply. I looked down and a loose fishing lure with a treble hook was hooked right behind the Achilles. There was a lead weight on the line and it was pulling on the lure. Ouch. A couple guys did some parking lot surgery to get the hook out of my ankle.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
I do see a lot of experienced sailors doing the 2-foot start though. It sort of surprises me.

Who doesn't, given plenty of wind? We're not talking feet in the straps, just on the deck. When I'm powered properly I'm likely to be planing the instant my butt clears the water, a dangling leg would be a sea anchor, I want both feet and legs ready to do battle, and I'm way past doing the splits without reconstructive surgery. Sad

Mike \m/
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell today, planing into a sub 10 mph dead spot. Front foot first waterstart in less than 10, as it took 3 toss's just so the sail could stay up to catch any wind. 6.5 and 100 liter board.
First toss upwards, boom easy 3' off the water, sail fell back down, meaning light winds, eh? This, while no feet were aboard.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure, as long as you can do all types of waterstarts proficiently, who cares what kind you do? I can flap myself onto the board with one foot on, and do when necessary...but most of the time I just start with one or both feet in the straps because its quick and easy and theres no chance of a random gust ripping me off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: