myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Law in NC Bans Latest Predictions of Sea Level Rise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: New Law in NC Bans Latest Predictions of Sea Level Rise Reply with quote

In case you were hoping North Carolina might do something to protect the OBX from sea level rise... apparently not.

Quote:
A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.

http://news.yahoo.com/law-north-carolina-bans-latest-scientific-predictions-sea-165416121--abc-news-topstories.html?_esi=1
jkrug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, they respect climate science, they just don't respect climate hoaxes.
windsailsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: beliefs Reply with quote

I love how people pic and choose there science
Bluejaytoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how would you protect the OBX from sea level rise?
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the point isn't to protect, it's to not keep building in areas that will become more vulnerable so that there is less stuff to lose/insure/bailout,etc. apparently that sort of common sense is now illegal. amazing.
jkrug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
the point isn't to protect, it's to not keep building in areas that will become more vulnerable so that there is less stuff to lose/insure/bailout,etc. apparently that sort of common sense is now illegal. amazing.

your point fails in your assumption that we must all 'lose/insure/bailout'. if i want to build a house right on a beach (zoning permitted) and it gets trashed every year by storms, isn't that my perogative, and my loss? this notion that we must all contribute to aid everyones personal decisions is pure nonsense, but spoken today like it's gospel. that is what's 'amazing ' to me, and common sense has nothing to do with it.

it's called liberty, and it's something we're losing more and more of everyday by such collectivist notions.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you lose your million dollar beach house in an event of significant magnitude to invoke federal disaster money, your insurance company also walks away, and we all pay for the loss with our tax dollars. has nothing to do with your personal freedom, just the notion of limiting exposure to known risks that drive up the costs to all of us.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with paulf- unless you paid for that house with cash, you've got a lienholder, and that lienholder will require flood insurance- which is federally subsidized. In the event you have a loss on that house, the insurance/ federal flood insurance program helps pay the replacement- ie, we the taxpayers are paying for your place on the edge of the water...
Seems to be lacking in active grey matter to continue on that path- build back from the edges...
jkrug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you keep falling back on the same assumptions though. federal disaster money, insurance companies walking away and we all pay for the loss...you speak of those things like they're as natural as the air. they're not, but we've certainly been conditioned to think that way.

my point is my loss should be my loss, not everyones loss. if no insurance company will insure my home, then it's up to me alone if i want to take that risk. federal disaster money should not exist...as long as it does, your points are correct.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you guys ever wonder about the septic systems in Hatteras? Where does all that Sh!t go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: