myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiting at the Hatchery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year there are many people who shouldn't be at the Hatchery.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
A friendly wave and smile will get you an even bigger wave and smile.

Tuesdays' downwinder guys were getting a great ride and fun to be with on the water.

Some of those kiters are better Windsurfers than many of the Windsurfers?

Sure I've almost been crushed by a dangling dope but that stuff happens.

It's not hard to find a spot that's not overrun by tourist kooks.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never forget the "turrist" blasting completely out of control straight through the Hatchery cove's best swell all morning, constantly crashing or making several sailors each reach dodge her as she's yelling, "Look out; I'm out of control". Honesty is a good policy, but an even better policy is sailing some place where your kookery isn't endangering everyone including yourself. I've often sailed Kodak Point on windy summer weekend days, but only before several experts show up, at which point I sail east or west. That gives me a couple of hours there if the wind starts early enough.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Sure I've almost been crushed by a dangling dope but that stuff happens.

That make it sound like an accident ... something beyond their ability to control. What it's legally called ranges from reckless endangerment, a gross misdemeanor, to first degree assault, a class A felony. Penalties start at 90-365 days in jail + a four-figure fine and go up to 5-20 years in jail + five-figure fines ... and that's even if they don't actually injure someone, merely put them at significant risk.

The only thing that saved me from a reckless endangerment arrest was that the Sheriff yelling into my window was on his way to an active home invasion when he U-turned to pull me over. What I done? My back tire chirped 4-5" sideways when I turned a right-angle corner at 20 mph in a 40 mph zone with no other cars or humans within 500 feet except the cop driving away from the corner ahead of me.

How's that same Sheriff going to respond when he sees the video of a WSer or kiter landing a jump on someone or a kiter repeatedly kicking his board loose onto planing WSers from 30 feet up? We whine about it, yet won't even bother to video it and call 911. We all share some blame for ignoring that solution, and people get hurt as a result.
puppydog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bitching is directly related to how long you sit on the beach,a manifistation of frustration...are you a participant or a spectator, looks looks like another great day @ penis point for everyone!
hein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is clearly needed here is a new government agency. Let's call it the FCA Fun Control Agency.

First thing the FCA needs is a lengthy study to take inventory of all available swell. Then surveys and public meetings to determine how many individuals want to ride swell.

The probable solution would a lottery where each year you submit your name to the FCA for a permit to ride swell. If your name gets drawn, you get a swell access card which you need to have with you at all times. There will be enforcement officers checking you for your card when you are out riding.

Of course there will be an elite government group that will be able to ride swell at anytime. They would members of the STC, Swell Testing Corps.

Of course there will be the endless lawsuits where people not happy with the situation will try to force the FCA to adopt their ideas.

This solution fits well with the let's solve all problems with more government intrusion syndrome that is ruining this great nation.

jk, of course.
have fun out there.
yield and smile
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important for "PTPete" to go to 2nd Wind and talk to Pepi in person and get this sorted out. 95% of the people want the same thing and the fact that Pete wanted to talk to some kiters on the beach, regardless of the outcome, says to me he's in the 95% crowd. Pepi is a stand-up guy and the majority of the wind community listens to him, respects him, and looks to him for leadership.

I remember so many similar scenarios from the really crowded Hatchery days in the mid 90's. Sailors screaming at each other for right of way, folks being told if they want to loop not to do it here, or there, collisions, and a very occasional pathetic fight

At times on a kite it's an exercise in civility to put up with the petty bs. You get glared at as you head up wind, yelled at, and the guy at swell who yells "get the f&))&. out of here," and makes little scissor motions with his hand is actually a bit of comic relief, though still annoying. I am most likely going to ride up there again today and get flipped off charged and Edward Scissor Handed again. Whatever...
Kites are an easy target, but the crowded anger has been going on long before kites showed up.

I guess my point is if one has to deal with a slew of annoying behaviors the pot may boil over. It happens. Usually a face to face after emotions have cooled brings about greater harmony and understanding. As I posted on iwindsurf, I blew a cork at a sailor and it was completely unjustified. He was classy enough to ask me to call him and I was able to apologize and straighten things out. It was understandable that I blew, but that didn't make it right and it sure as heck did nothing positive to blow at an innocent sailor.

See folks on the water today. It's going to be good

gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I windsurf and kite. I windsurf when ever it is light and kite with surfboard when ever their is swell. To the people sailing at kiters who are passing thru on downwinders you are being a$$ clowns and causing more problems then you solve(you will probablly cause more agro kiters to come just to cause you grief). The guy jumping the strapless board Is the bigges a$$ of the whole situation. But next time yell at him once the second time he jumps and loses his board sail over the top of it a windsurf fin will cut a strapless surfboard in half and then sail up to the closest kiter takeing turns on the swells and give him a big thumbs up.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog, watch out for penis envy... just because you can do something well doesn't mean you are showing off, it just means you put a lot of time into something to improve and become excellent. The guys with their penises out doing the incredible tricks we just dream about are friends of mine. These guys change the sport by innovation, feedback, and gutsy ideas. Guys - keeping ripping, just watch our for those sharp fins if you are hanging too low.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I sign up for the Corps, I can provide references.

-Craig

hein wrote:
Of course there will be an elite government group that will be able to ride swell at anytime. They would members of the STC, Swell Testing Corps.

dangerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by dangerd on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: