myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Personal locator beacon vs VHF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Personal locator beacon vs VHF Reply with quote

After going out at Coyote last Thu (with 35 knots wind at the airport) and witness a break down, fortunately 300 yards from shore, I decided I need a rescue device of sorts.

The alternatives are a VHF radio, ICOM M72, or a Personal locator beacon. http://www.acrelectronics.com/products/product-comparisons/personal-locator-beacons-comparison/

Cost is similar, the beacon seems to have the big advantage of very small size (as big as a cellphone) and extremely simple use (unfold the antenna and push a button). See also the West Marine youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuwW9t_G1g

Opinions? Alternatives?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I do a lot of very remote bike riding and desert kayaking. We carry a "Fastfind" beacon due to simplicity of use. In theory, they are water-proof. We have not had the bad fortune to try it yet.
NickB

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the FastFind too and always bring it with me but thankfully, like coboardhead, I never had to use it.

There are other suggestions here: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=173227&highlight=#173227
windfind

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at this device but I have a couple of reservations:

1. With a handhold "waterproof" VHF radio you can check its operation any time by just requesting a radio check from any vessel. Withe the FastFind there is no apparent way to truly verify its operation.

2. With a VHF you can describe the nature of your emergency, the color of your vessel, time of emergency etc. Plus being able to talk to the CG or passing vessel would really add psychological boost. But the FastFind has a big advantage if you lose consciousness. But then.......

3. To transmit effectively both have to be held out of the water. With a VHF you know exactly when to jockey yourself out of the water i.e.. when you want to speak.

4. The video says you will be rescued in several hours. They could just be allowing for the distance a yacht is offshore but it could also be that they are NOT utilizing a geosynchronous satellite.

5. The unit is suppose to be waterproof for 30 minutes at 33 feet. But there is no JIS-7 or above rating. Unlike many VHF units the FastFind noes not float. Since any such unit will spend a lot of time underwater when you fall a simple water proof bag will help longevity.

6. Lastly there are hand held VHF radios, like the Standard HX850s Handheld VHF w/ GPS that float and are in the same price range. I also like that with a VHF you can call the other sources of rescue. e.g. S.F. fire dept.

Mike Godsey
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offered as points for discussion, rather than as a definite recommendation...

When you activate an EPIRB, you are effectively calling Mayday and can assume that a full search and rescue effort will be mounted. USCG and other emergency services will not know exactly what sort of situation they are supposed to be looking for. Information that you provided on the registration, might be sufficient to identify you as a windsurfer, but you might be on a board that looks different than what you described in the registration.

When you call on VHF, you have the opportunity to explain the situation, allowing emergency services to mount a response that is appropriately scaled and equipped for the specific situation.

VHF has the disadvantages of being bulkier and more complicated to operate. In fierce wind conditions, the acoustic noise factor of the wind can make it difficult to maintain a mutually intelligible conversation with USCG (direct personal experience).
petersayour

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastfind. I talked to Fastfind customer service and no need to keep this in a waterproof bag. I just throw it in the Dakine Solo Bag, but take it out of the bag after sailing. I also bring it backcountry skiing.
gpadmos

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the market for a VHF or other emergency communication device, too.

I have done a little research and decided that a device enabled with the DSC system the Coast Guard has implemented is probably the way I will go. For the near-shore sailing windsurfers typically do, DSC seems to be better than a satellite-based system. DSC has a lot of features, but it’s the distress call feature that is of most interest to our sport.

If you don’t know about DSC, in a nutshell, each DSC-enabled device should be configured with a unique MMSI number that has been assigned after submitting a form with information about the owner, vessel, emergency contacts, etc. When the DSC distress signal is activated, it takes the coordinates from the GPS and transmits them along with the unique MMSI on a digital data signal to any other DSC-enabled device that is listening, most importantly, the Coast Guard. Since the MMSI is linked to unique information in the Coast Guard database, the rescuers can almost instantly determine who, what and where to look without the sender having to say a word (which is a big deal in 25 kts). Check out http://youtu.be/M-f4nhnBThg for a video of a CG Lieutenant explaining DSC.

DSC without GPS is a glorified mayday call, so the ideal hand-held device would have both. I have found two basic options, either an emergency-only device like http://nautiluslifeline.com/ or a standard VHF combined with GPS/DSC like the Standard Horizon HX850s Mike mentioned ( I think HX851 is the current model number). Icom, Uniden, and Lowrance/Simrad all make similar GPS/DSC waterproof, floating models.

The biggest disadvantages are size, weight, and price so I sometimes wonder if I should get the smaller, lighter and cheaper Icom M72, which would float in an aquapac and would probably do the job 90% of the time. The mere fact that I would carry a radio probably drastically reduces the chances I would need it since it demonstrates that I am not a risk-taker.

Any advice? How precisely can the CG triangulate the location of a VHF signal?
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for the good info. I was looking at the Nautilus, that sounds like a great idea, but I did not really like the short battery life (30' max talk is quite short!) and the 1 year warranty. And than I found this review http://scubagearreports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=393%3Awet-testednautilus-lifeline&catid=40&Itemid=27 that makes it sound like it might be better to wait for the second generation ...

So, yep, it seems to be down to the M72 or the Standard Horizon with DSC. The ResQLink is a good solution, still very tempted it is so small, but I think that I'll follow the Coast Guard advise, and it is nice to know that with VHF I can call to help somebody else in trouble.

Leaning on the ICON mostly because it is slightly smaller (2.2"W x 5.2"H x 1.2"D vs 2.5"W x 5.66"H x 1.81"D). For both my understanding is that you do not need a Aquapac.

Last edited by dvCali on Wed May 23, 2012 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on specs, you don't need an aquapac, but it will

- reduce corrosion and likelihood of a failure over the long haul
- screen off wind noise on the mike when it is cranking
- float the radio if you are using a smaller non buoyant radio like M72

If you go with M72 and no bag, put a tether line on it. It would suck to drop it and lose all hope of rescue! Carried without the aquapac, my M72 slips under the neck flap of my Patagonia wetsuit (between the neck and the zipper on the upper chest) and I rarely notice it is there. The floaters are much bulkier because they need the displacement to offset the wight of the components. DSC is great but most of the time won't be necessary. If you were becalmed under the fog at the Gate, it might be nice to be able to send your exact location so Vessel Traffic could try and prevent you ending up as a speed bump. USCG does have the ability to direction find your transmissions (+/- 1000' or so) in most areas using the towers, so even if you were floating away at night and unsure of your position, they could work it out as long as you have battery life and can keep giving them a transmission to work with.
diannesf

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We asked the Coast Guard representative for their recommendation on safety gear for Crissy and Coyote at the last 'Safety Day' (last year or the year before?) This is what he said:

VHF Radio in a waterproof pouch
Waterproof strobe light
Whistle

We asked about an epirb-type device and he said it would be better to have a radio. He also stressed the importance of a strobe, because if it's foggy or dark, they will be able to find you. You can talk to them all you want, but if it's dark or foggy, you might not know where you are. Also, the whistle can signal a nearby boat or person.

I'm also not making a recommendation, but just relaying what we were told. - Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: