myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Puerto Rico
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrpla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Hi;

PR is getting some good wind lately, here are some pics;
http://www.facebook.com/pages/WindsurfingPRcom/158341447516901

More Info;
http://windsurfingpr.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from 3 weeks there, and agree the winds can mostly blow around 6 meter speeds for lightweight riders (155lbs.) with early planing bigger boards...something around 120 liters.
Got there Dec 21, blew 5 meters for 3 days, then settled around 7 meters (way powered up slalom gear) the rest of the stay, with 4 off days of around 12 mph steady breeze.
Unfortunately, no rental gear (useable size) anywhere, no matter who we called, or where we went. Seems kiting is the call for PR. Hope you can find some.
upwind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, glad to see people posting about how good PR can be! So close and affordable. I just got back a couple days ago. Sick conditions for about 2 weeks then a little lull for a few days and as I was leaving it began to fire again. I was on anything from 4.7 to 5.5 in the south and north west.....nice wavesailing too. I am a little bit heavier though (170lbs) and used a bigger wave board around 93L most days and the sub 5.0 days an 85L. Cannot wait to get back for more at the end of Feb/March.

zirtaeb, I feel your pain stuck sailing on the windward side of the island as I used to do it quite a bit!
Next time get on the move and sail on the other side of the rain forest! Avoid the bouncy water, swift currents and the squalls by sailing on the other side of the mountains and heading to the north west or south as you can use much smaller boards and sails (at least a meter or two smaller in my case).

Last edited by upwind on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
edoremus337

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfing in PR is great and there are not enough sailors out there. I am fortunate enough to travel to PR a few times a year and have the chance to sail every day if I like. It seems that the easterly winds are always cooperating. I posted this video the other day in "Windsurfing Discussion" but Ill throw it in here again. Wave sailing in Dorado can be a lot of fun even though I am new to wavesailing in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDAWFFiXio&feature=plcp&context=C3eae35cUDOEgsToPDskJcAhjAifVVeTGuSBUNEr18
edoremus337

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if anyone is going sailing from now until friday in PR, let me know when and where and I might pop over and join you!
upwind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6Y51PNBTk&feature=related

Last edited by upwind on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, did you happen to sail in RI this summer??? Maybe Horseneck?

Here's a vid someone posted from a couple weeks ago in Puerto Rico.

http://vimeo.com/34520391

updated link.

Last edited by ctwindsurf on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total
edoremus337

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctwindsurf wrote:
Hey Ed, did you sail in RI this summer??? Maybe Horseneck?

Here's a vid someone posted from a couple weeks ago in Puerto Rico.

http://vimeo.com/34150346

Yeah I was at horseneck a little while ago. First time trying the waves...broken mast...tore through Outcast's sail...yeahhh that was me. I'll for sure be back at HN to give it another shot, hopefully with a better outcome.

I might be giving Dorado a try tomorrow if the winds keep up over night. Its blasting right now..

By the way, a little off topic here but, im just curious. People keep referring to me as Ed on this fourm, which is fine. Although my first name is eric, last doremus (hence edoremus). Now that I look at it, if people think my name is Ed, do they see my user name as 'Ed or emus'? Take your pick! Strange..
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did meet in the parking lot at Horseneck at the days end, everybody was cold from sailing all day at the event! I just looked at the forecast......with the overnight winds you're going to be looking at 9' on shore swell and side on wind in the am.
I would forget about the reef early and just sail the inside and wait till the waves drop (forecast to be around 1:00).
From the video you posted it seems that there's a pretty wide and deep channel at Dorado?
Even when the windswell dies down the forecast 6' ground swell at 11 sec. could probably be pretty big and personally I would not want to be on anything but wave gear dropping into the reef. If the channel is big enough of course you can just sail in it or practice on the shoulder! Jealous........
edoremus337

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds pretty awesome. there is a pretty big space between the reef and the shore so if its a little out of control, I can stay inside. I have a smaller-ish (110L) AHD board to use here but I just found a large crack on the nose so thats out of the picture. Who knows, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Also, what is considered a long period for the waves to be? Im trying to get a sense of all the 'wave' talk. From my understanding, the longer the period, the more powerful the wave?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: