myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carib WS off Boat in February -- Recommended Destinations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Carib WS off Boat in February -- Recommended Destinations? Reply with quote

I will be a guest on a boat for a week in the Caribbean in mid February.

We will leaving from St Martin and jumping islands. I sail (advanced), my friend kites (intermediate). Figure to pick up rental gear at Orient Beach on SXM (Vela or one of the other vendors), maybe even sail a day or two there on front or back end.

Where do you recommend we go with the boat (also taking into consideration the non-sailing needs of the other 6 guests)? Would love to get some wave sailing in, if possible.
glenherman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Cruising sailboat from saint martin Reply with quote

That is going to be great trip! Which direction are you going, north or south?
I sailed my boat (a Catalina34) from Florida to Venezuela and back around the entire carribbean east and west. For wave sailing in the islands there are only 3 great spots. Puerto Rico, Barbados and Saint Martin. If you need to rent gear, then take your boat around to either Orient Point or Le Galion and anchor and dinghy in and rent from Vela or Tropical Wave. Orient bay gets busy on cruise ship days with lots of jet skis and boat traffic. Good surf between Pinel island and the point. Le Galion is quiet, and there is good surf at the edge of the reef entrance.
South of Saint Martin you can sail to Saint Barts where there is slalom sailing and windsurf rentals. It is the only place where you have to pay to anchor out, but the gendarmes come out and collect the fee. After them, the pretty, topless French girl comes out and sells excellent cafe and croissants, right to your boat.
I don't know of rentals on Statia, St. Kitts or Nevis but there is good windsurfing at the south end of St Kitts. You can even windsurf across the open ocean to Nevis and back. That is a a good sail, but you will need your own gear. Saba has no windsurfing at all, but you take a mooring and the diving is world class.
North of St. Martin, Anguilla has nothing and Virgin Gorda is a long overnight sail away.
Enjoy your sail. It is going to be an incredible experience!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: