myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best cell reception / prepaid plans in La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdedeo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Best cell reception / prepaid plans in La Ventana Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to call the states while I'm in La Ventana.

On the maps there is GSM coverage in La Paz and La Ventana. How is it in reality?

I won't have much internet access or I'd try skype. I think I can get a sim card and prepaid minutes for Telcel or Movitel. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
MrFish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure but not positive that only telcel, not nextel or movistar works there.

Telcel works fine.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best cell reception / prepaid plans in La Ventana Reply with quote

mdedeo wrote:
I'd like to be able to call the states while I'm in La Ventana.

On the maps there is GSM coverage in La Paz and La Ventana. How is it in reality?

I won't have much internet access or I'd try skype. I think I can get a sim card and prepaid minutes for Telcel or Movitel. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
I have Telcel service in LV and it works great! My advice: Go to the "big" Telcel store located behind Burger King (and next to City Club) in La Paz. Ask for "Omar" - he speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Tell Omar what you want and he'll inform you of the options, etc.

I requested a "cheap" phone and ended up with the LG A100a - it was $299 pesos and included a $100 peso credit for calls. So the phone itself cost me around $14-15 usd (not including the $100 peso calling credit).

I'm on the "Amigo Combinado 20" plan - pre-paid - no contract. You pick up to 5 "special" US or Canada phone numbers that they enter in their system and you then get a discounted rate when you call those specific numbers. I was told "10 min for 11 pesos" which is roughly 7.5 cents a minute - not bad! In reality, I'm being charged at a different rate but it's less than I was quoted so I'm happy! You can also designate up to 20 Mexico national numbers which also get a discount rate.

You can purchase the Telcel Amigo calling cards just about anywhere. You then "redeem" the card credit via your phone.

If you talk to Omar you should be good to go!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ATT at home they contract with telcel so there is good service and you can buy the "Viva Mexico Plan" for $15 per month on top of your regular bill.

I get perfect unlimited (basically) calls to and from the US and Mexico. And I only have to pay the $15 per month extra for the months I am in Baja.

"Viva Mexico"
rlshirey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: You Lose Roll Over Minutes Reply with quote

I contacted ATT about the Viva Mexico plan for my ATT phones. Just as Wyatt said ATT would change my 700 minute family plan to the Mexico plan for an additional $15/month. I could then change it back after returning to the States. All calls made from Mexico would be charged against my anytime minutes even those made to a cell phone on my family plan. I forgot to ask about the weekend calls if they would count against my minutes. The main disadvantage for me is the loss of all roll over minutes over my plans basic 700 minutes. For example, I currently have 2000 roll over minutes, when I change from my current plan to the Viva Mexico plan I would lose 1300 of those 2000 roll over minutes. We rarely use our cell phones while home 6 months of the year and build up lots of roll over minutes, but the other 6 months when travelling we use 1500 to 2000 minutes a month. Therefore, the roll over minutes are more valuable to me than the savings of the Viva Mexico plan. I will try to get by with WiFi calling.
andylikeeliker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamming device used to enhance security and privacy by blocking the transmission of wireless signal. Wireless jamming device online wholesale at wide range

remote jamming
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had on and off coverage with t-mobile. That was free roaming with my current plan. No data though.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you do don't think you can just use your phone sparigly. there's a reason why the owner of the mexican cell network is one of the the richest men in the world. i once used my phone for 2 calls and some quick emailing and came back to a $300+ bill

at&t works better in baja than it does in most parts parts of california. friends with verizon had almost no reception whatsoever and were paying for a special plan.

i was going to go viva mexico, but when i called i told them i only needed it for two weeks they gave me a better plan. not sure what she called it.

one extra bonus was that i told her when i was returning she set it up so i was automatically switched back to my original plan the day i came back.

i did voice only. wifi is pretty easy to find.

if you need your own i-net connection i was told you can get a prepaid personal 3G wifi hotspot. for less money you can get a usb dongle. you can get it before you go or get it down there. i have no personal experience with those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: