myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Review: Windsurfing on St. John, USVI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Review: Windsurfing on St. John, USVI Reply with quote

I just got back from a week on St. John, USVI. It was not a "windsurfing vaction" but I found a couple of places there to rent gear. Here's a little review. Please feel free to PM me if you want any more information.

1. Cinnamon Bay

We visited Cinnamon Bay a couple of times. The beach itself is a big, sandy bay with a natural breakwater to windward (NE) providing relatively flat water, though ocean swells from the N and NW can still reach the beach. The watersports rental facility has everything you might want: snorkeling gear, standup paddling boards, kayaks, Hobie Cats, and windsurfers. All of the gear was reasonably new and in good condition.

I rented a newish Fanatic Shark with an after-market fin (not the stock fin). I got a nice new Ezzy sail with what appeared to be a brand-new reduced-diameter mast (the paint on the mast was not scratched or scuffed, even in the boom cutout). They had a good selection of sails and boards. Boards were mostly from Fanatic and F2, all looked to be in good condition. I don't recall seeing anything less than about 100 L or so, which maybe says something about the wind on St. John.

They do offer lessons for beginners. They had a nice selection of trainer sails, and a new-looking Starboard Go board. They didn't have any longboards, though.

The one slight drawback from a windsurfing perspective is that the entire beach is reserved for swimming. For windsurfing, you have to sail pretty far out into the bay. That puts you behind a little island where you can't be seen from most of the shoreline, and if the wind dies, it's a pretty long slog to get back home. But, hey, you're windsurfing in the Caribbean; are you gonna complain about being out there a little longer?

2. Maho Bay

This was a little farther away from our condo in Cruz Bay, so we did not go to Maho Bay. I'm just listing it as another option. If you're staying in Coral Bay instead of Cruz Bay (or even at Maho Bay itself) then this might be a better option.
gk3540

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, which can be hard to find in the Caribbean. We windsurfed in St. Thomas out of, think it was called Great Bay, at the Ritz Carlton which has day use capacity (fee of course). They have really nice equipment there. The bay faced St. John. Couldn't help but imagine windsurfing there--thanks again, we will check it out. By the way, the British Virgin Islands nearby look like windsurfing heaven.....
longboard08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we sailed there, too. Business website was www.islandsol.net and contact person was Paul Stoeken. Windsurfing equipment was very well maintained and organized. I remember the day use fee because we took taxi there from cruise ship stop in Charlotte Amalie. Stunningly beautiful place. Would love to stay there although is Ritz Carlton--expensive. But then the windsurf rental would be included. They had Hobie waves and I took one of those out too. You could see St. John directly east.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: