myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No current at Dougs today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drblanke

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: No current at Dougs today? Reply with quote

So it is spring in the gorge. Snow is melting, streams are running, and yet not a lick of current at Doug's today.

Out east it is blowing 30, and I'm sure all those wind turbines are pumping the juice. Does the BPA shut down the dam generation when it is windy to compensate for the wind turbine output on their grid?

Could strong current on a windy day soon be a thing of the past?
Shocked
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No current at Dougs today? Reply with quote

drblanke wrote:
Out east it is blowing 30, and I'm sure all those wind turbines are pumping the juice. Does the BPA shut down the dam generation when it is windy to compensate for the wind turbine output on their grid?

Just the opposite. The BPA ordered the windpower agencies to stand down until further notice because even after idling their coal and gas power plants, the hydro power alone is exceeding demand.

Mike \m/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swell at Doug's has been disappointing for my first season living nearby. Is this the normal size or is it normally better on 4.7-5.5 days (190 lbs)?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have never been consistently impressed with Doug's swell, but it's also not optimal "swell season" yet. The best stuff comes with the steadier thermal winds which need more heat out east. Be patient, grasshopper; enjoy the light crowds and take the shorter periods of good swell as hints of better things to come when the desert heats up.

Mike \m/
ldhr

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're drawing the river down to support the weekend cleanup of the sandbar. I think they shut the gates on the Dalles dam to lower the Bonneville pool.
Saturday morning - volunteer cleanup of the Sandbar. 9 - noon meet at the spit parking lot.
I know - this is for tea-bagging danglers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: