myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 2011 SEASON!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Amazing you can avoid Swell, Hatch, Dougs, and Maryhill.
I hit those up the first trip, and added 3mileCanyon and Rufus to boot, but missed out on some early Stevenson/HomeValley stuff after driving all day the day before out east.
Kinda like first day in Oahu, surfed AlaMo. Next day, small Pipe and Sunset the same day.
Gotta hit the spots that bring your there.

I don't like dealing with crowds and all that goes with it. So Swell and Hatch are off my list. Although now that I live here, I can see some sessions there before the summer crowds arrive Smile Maryhill is one of my favorites when it's blowing out there. I did hit Dougs once, but wasn't impressed (other than the walk), but it was only a 5.2 day, so maybe with more wind???
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I can understand Hatchrats and Dougs regulars never wanting to go anywhere else. They get enough days, their conditions are epic combos on wind and swell.

I almost never get enough hours in a day and never get enough days in a season, they miss a LOT of great sailing east and west of their turf, and many Wall regulars would disagree about the epic swell comparison.

Mike \m/
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
I have friends (I won't mention any names) that I cannot pay to ride with me to the delta, Treasure Island or Tomales, even when being skunked locally. And it's not that they can't handle the conditions, just don't like driving. Most Crissy regulars seldom sail anywhere else. Personally I draw the line at going to 3rd, Coyote or Candlestick from my house, mostly because I don't like driving through the city.

Steve

Funny, I have some very fond memories of Tomales Bay. It's an enjoyable (although an hour) drive, and the sailing there rocks. Just a tad cold in the spring. If I lived closer, I would make it a regular place on my list....
kellyv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Gorge Reply with quote

Yes. To the original post. Very exited to return to heaven.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I can understand Hatchrats and Dougs regulars never wanting to go anywhere else. They get enough days, their conditions are epic combos on wind and swell.
But someone new to the area, wouldn't sailing the spots that attracted you to the area be the first priority?
Sure, I've sailed Mosher, W of Dougs, HomeValleyStevenson, EventSite and W of the Hood bridge, but they're not the highlights of any Gorge discussion.

If you are referring to me, I'm "new" as a resident, but I've been here for about 15 summers (normally 3 -4 weeks each visit). I love windsurfing in general and I don't need swell to have a good time. In fact, since I've been working on freestyle, I prefer flatter water anyway.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats like saying you like groomers better than pow pow Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I don't like dealing with crowds and all that goes with it. So Swell and Hatch are off my list. Although now that I live here, I can see some sessions there before the summer crowds arrive Smile ... I did hit Dougs once, but wasn't impressed (other than the walk), but it was only a 5.2 day, so maybe with more wind??? ... since I've been working on freestyle, I prefer flatter water a

Maybe. Many people don't care for the terrain at Doug's. Even when I've had that entire stretch absolutely to myself for many hours in epic conditions, I still preferred other spots than Doug's for that reason. It's just another spot to many of us; many avoid it altogether. Nothing wrong with it, just terrain preferences.

I hear you about the heart of the corridor. It's really a shame that dawn patrol winds have been off by something like 90% the past 8-10 years; they provided a great crowd-free window for the small handful who value shred time over sleep.

In that regard, I envy freestylers. Gorge conditions suit it in more places and on more days than any other niche short of racing, and racing takes people and preparation and planning ... three major encumbrances to spontaneity. I'm quite certain I could at least quadruple my sailing time if I gave a damn about FS and didn't have to sleep and eat.

Mike \m/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To OP,, You Bet! I would especially like it to line up so we can make another trip from Luhr Jensen beach to Swell and back when the blackberries are in season on Wells. Some of the best days ever are on that part of the river.
skyhigh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Thats like saying you like groomers better than pow pow Smile

RIGHT ARM !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: