myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
You're Welcome SF Bay!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: You're Welcome SF Bay! Reply with quote

3 straight days of 90+ degrees and no wind in the Gorge, while it blows in sf bay. good thing i drove all my gear here. so, to all you sf bay knuckleheads, You Are Welcome!

here's a list of things that Portland has over SF.
1. Mosquitoes, more and hungrier. reminds me of Regina, Canada. Forget the sunblock, I'm slathering corticosteroids all over my legs to halt the itching.
2. surface street traffic. endless lines of bio diesel trucks stretched across any north/south street. they have one freeway, it goes east/west. they are too busy removing second lanes and putting up planter boxes to worry about traffic.
3. white people. and I mean white. pale beyond the pale. whiteness that glares, reflects 100% of every frequency the sun throws at it.
4. vegan wrist band shops. seriously. i'll send a photo.
5. it used to be that Portlandians started bands. Now they start restaurants. precious smug restaurants with handcrafted mushrooms and single origin free range mutton.

i could go on, it won't drop below 90 for another three hours anyway.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Stevenson East wind 18 gusting 24 Reply with quote

Stevenson East wind 18 gusting 24 most of mid day 10AM to 2:30PM Thursday July 8. The heat wave place. But you have to shave a few knots due to the current.

Yesterday blew about an hour but only 5.7-6.0

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&siteID=248
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: You're Welcome SF Bay! Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
3 straight days of 90+ degrees and no wind in the Gorge, while it blows in sf bay. good thing i drove all my gear here. so, to all you sf bay knuckleheads, You Are Welcome!

here's a list of things that Portland has over SF.
1. Mosquitoes, more and hungrier. reminds me of Regina, Canada. Forget the sunblock, I'm slathering corticosteroids all over my legs to halt the itching.
2. surface street traffic. endless lines of bio diesel trucks stretched across any north/south street. they have one freeway, it goes east/west. they are too busy removing second lanes and putting up planter boxes to worry about traffic.
3. white people. and I mean white. pale beyond the pale. whiteness that glares, reflects 100% of every frequency the sun throws at it.
5. it used to be that Portlandians started bands. Now they start restaurants. precious smug restaurants with handcrafted mushrooms and single origin free range mutton.

i could go on, it won't drop below 90 for another three hours anyway.

Get me one of them wrist bands

lfsk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, I'm so sorry. I know how that is, to schlep all your stuff and be disappointed. We schlepped all the way to the delta from LA this week, 4 days straight of 30+, my arms are so sore, I might not be able to sail the ebb tomorrow morning, and to think I schlepped all this way......
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lfsk: That's smog, I mean smug, back home with you, somebody has to work up north...
watermonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: You're Welcome SF Bay! Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:

Those are free-range organic vegan wristbands, right? If not, don't bother...
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absence makes the heart grow fonder (?) - and here I was complaining about two straight gear malfs in a row while envying your surfari. First was Monday's broken harness line (over by Emeryville of course and the "wrong" line/side) just to test my repaired rotator cuff. Limped in to greetings from the Grim Reachers at East Parking Lot. Then yesterday broke my boom clamp line while adjusting position and spent 30 minutes in the drink repairing it prior to resuming another enjoyable Berk sesh.
But third time was the charm with a beautiful day at PI today.
Bay winds have indeed picked up it appears - perhaps they help blow the mosquitos away??
Say Hi to Rick May if you happen to run into him at Stevenson.
Better Luck must shortly come your way.
Cheers, David
chibichibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you timed your trip wrong. i drove to the Gorge and arrived last Saturday and left Monday. Sunday the river nuked big time and I got blown off the water at Doug's. Yes, a 4.2 does not work on a good Gorge day. Monday was good too but the GF made us drive home. 2 days of driving, 2 days of sailing, kind ridiculous. But atleast I did not get skunked. Check out Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland, they make killer pies to eat while you wait out the heat wave.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the heat. I have been in SF all week wrapped in a down jacket and wool hat. I think I briefly saw the sun the other day. Delta has been nuking all week and looks like it will stop nuking just in time for the weekend.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a crazy sport....has anyone on this forum ever tried to quit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: