myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back from Baja

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Back from Baja Reply with quote

It's been a crazy week at work so I am FINALLY getting a chance to post this. The trip to SoloSports (Punta San Carlos) was awesome. If you have the chance to do it and you have been wanting to try wavesailing, then go rob your piggy bank and go. It's a great trip.

The flight down was cool. About 2 1/2 hours. But then you land into a 20+mph headwind (after turning into it) on a dirt runway. That is exciting.

They have a great camp but everything is trucked in (including shower water). So water is at a premium (2.5 gallon shower per day max), but food and drinks are not. There is plenty of food and plan on gaining weight (3 pounds for me in one week!) Also there is plenty of bottled beer all day long (if you like Corona and Pacifico) and when the bar is open in the evening, plenty of drinks!

As to the windsurfing, that was cool also. Plenty of gear (you get assigned your own boom, so no worrying about harness lines) and then the sails are soft rigged and hanging. Just pick a sail, downhaul it, put your boom on and then grab a board. A short walk to the water. Also plenty of SUP's and mountain bikes (GREAT soft trails nearby).

When we were there the surf and wind varied. We sailed down to 4.7's and the surf varied from 1-2 feet to logo high. For me the surf was a challenge since this was my first time trying wavesailing. Getting out through the break got me pretty worked the beginning of the week. Finally by the end I was getting out pretty easily and catching some rides!

As to the instruction, if you have a chance and a desire to take a clinic with Wyatt Miller do it. He's real easy going and laid back and presents his knowledge so that you can understand it. He also has several "training tips" for learning stuff like forward loops and vulcans.

So as the saying goes....

"You just don't know until you go...."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: