myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WYATT'S 5 SIMPLE TIPS TO CONSISTENT JIBES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: WYATT'S 5 SIMPLE TIPS TO CONSISTENT JIBES Reply with quote

5 Simple tips to Jibing.

I have seen a bunch of lengthy forum discussions on jibing recently and I know it is hard for anyone to focus on more than 1 or two things during a high speed transition, so I thought I would provide 5 to make it just confusing enough.

Most instructors focus on what you should do. I like to focus on what most poor jibers don’t do.

#1 Front Foot Pressure: You should initiate your jibe by putting all the pressure you can muster into your front foot strap and onto the ball of your front foot. Front foot pressure should be the constant throughout your jibe while back foot pressure should be used to dictate the radius of your jibe.

#2 LOOK UNDER THE BOOM: at the water downwind of the nose of our board. This will keep you crouched down with your knees and arms bent. If you look over the boom you will kill STEP #1.

#3 Make sure it is in your mental checklist to slide your front hand all the way forward on the boom (towards the mast) just before you get ready to flip the sail. This will ensure the sail is able to flip cleanly.

#4 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to ensure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you, that is bad),YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest. (Practice this with a sail on the beach.)

#5 Click your heels together: when switching your feet, making sure to cross the centerline of the board as you bring your old front foot back. Crossing the center line with your old front foot cause you to weight the inside (turning) rail and keep the board turning in the right direction. Make sure your new front foot goes all the way up to the mast base to help distribute your weight.[/u]

7 BY RHALLMAN 8993.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  613.42 KB
 Viewed:  19312 Time(s)

7 BY RHALLMAN 8993.jpg

Last edited by wyattmiller on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIBING AND CARVE 360 CLINIC
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH!!!
CRISSY FIELD

$75 Includes Lunch and Beverages[/size]

Event: Join Pro-Rider Wyatt Miller at the Crissy Field for a day of intensive Jibe Training. We will cover Chicken Jibes, Lay Down Jibes, Duck Jibes, Carve 360's. Take advantage of instruction from a professional freestyler and give your sessions new energy!

Wyatt is the 2007 Gorge Freestyle Champion. Sponsored by: Naish Boards and Sails, Dakine, Pro-Limit wetsuits, Mean Line fins, Kaenon Polarized and H2O Audio Mp3. Wyatt currently sails full-time in Maui, the Gorge, and the Bay Area. Check out wyattmillerwindsurfing.com for more info.

What to Bring: You should bring the gear you would normally sail on and a jacket (Crissy Brrrrr).

Schedule: 11:00-12:30 On-land training chicken jibes and laydown's.
12:30-1:00 Lunch Break.
1:00-2:00 On-land training Duck Jibes and Carve 360's.
2:00-4:30 On-water instruction session .
5:00 on Beer and debriefing session.

Call or email Wyatt Miller to sign up. Space is limited. You must reserve your spot in advance.

Email Wyattmiller525@gmail.com or call 510-375-1934 to sign up.

All Levels Welcome, We will go over everything from Chicken Jibes to Duck Jibes and Carving 360's

IMG_3932.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  510.3 KB
 Viewed:  19306 Time(s)

IMG_3932.JPG

jkayes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend this. My wife took this course in June and her jibes went from 25% or so to over 80% in the span of just 2 months after the class. Not to mention that Wyatt is a great teacher -- I took his freestyle course earlier this year and, thanks to him, I landed my first loops this past weekend.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, wait till you-know-who sees this post. Only five steps to performing a jibe? According to whats-his-name, there are at LEAST forty.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Carry on.

faradroka1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW DO I GYBE IN CHOPSWELL!
lfsk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you can do a clinic like this is So Cal?
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
HOW DO I GYBE IN CHOPSWELL!

By SLASHING pal. Do your homework.

bobby25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wyatt, if it is not looking like it will be windy at Crissy on Sunday is there any chance we can chase the wind out to Coyote or 3rd or Candlestick??
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lfsk.

I would like to do a clinic in the So Cal area. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it this fall. Tyson Poor and I will be heading back from La Ventana in March and maybe I can schedule something then. Where do you think the best location for a 1 or 2 day event would be??

Thanks,
Wyatt
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bobby,
It looks like there will be good wind at crissy on sunday. If we finish the on land portion and it is looking a lot better at candlestick or coyote will will take a vote and head out there if it works for everyone but i think it is gonna blow at crissy. Fingers crossed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: