myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Killer Whale at Scott's ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matterhorn

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Killer Whale at Scott's ? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I sailed scott's creek today and saw what I belive is an orca whale, or killer whale. I had just entered the water when I recognised a dome like head popping up in the middle of the surf zone. A few seconds later, I saw a huge dorsal fin and when I passed the thing I could recognize a whale like tail fin as it decended and disappeared.
With the strong back lighting and the water reflection, things were not quite as clear and obvious as let's say at sea world or the free willy movie.
I thought these guys are usually in groups? Do they normally come this close to shore? Has anybody ever seen an orca whale sailing the coast? Or am I just going crazy and start seeing UFO's landing in the water?

Philippe
windward1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coulda been.

Pods are known to frequent Monterey Bay. They have been filmed attacking Californina Grey Whales. Usually the mom whale heads her baby towards shore when attacked and it is thought that the Orcas here do not like to get into too shallow a water, but there are Discovery films of Orcas going up to the beach to get seals. While normally in pods, there may have been a pod that you did not see. You probably did not even see the one you spotted come up to spout as it left the area. While having to pay attention to your sailing you can miss the short time it takes them to surface and dive again. It is sometimes even hard to spot that subsequent-the-first-spotting action when on the cliff scanning the sea with binoculars.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Grey whales are migrating now to Alaska and the Killer's follow. OTOH Bottle Nose Dolphins are surprisingly big and range all the way to black in color and could fit your description. They would be around there and are much more common near shore. Sounds like a great encounter. I saw one working it's way through the kelp at Natural Bridges a few years ago- I had the same thought.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...were you thinking this could be you?

Orca.jpg
 Description:
Orca
 Filesize:  6.72 KB
 Viewed:  10166 Time(s)

Orca.jpg

MOTOP

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Killer Whale at Scott's ? Reply with quote

For what it's worth, we saw several orcas at Stinson Beach a few weeks back. Could be the same animal.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Philippe- I saw one at Waddell 4-5years ago. It was about 200yds offshore. I was up in the parking lot, but a girl was kiting out towards it and close by it. I don't think she saw it. It going slowly north as the wind was dying, late in the day. I didn't see any other killer whales or podlets.

It had a big dorsal fin, taller than my waist for sure....blowing its spout once in a while.

Ernie
churan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one believe you. Similar sighting 2 weeks ago sunday at daves.
We could not place the shape of the fin.
not a great white, not a seal or grey whale . It was that tall skinny black shape.... orca. thanks for solving the debate.

it was well withing the channel, seemed to be feeding or splashing around in circles, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: