myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how to select new fins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cotter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: how to select new fins Reply with quote

i have a bic techno2 148 liters. as i progress in skills i would like to learn to waveride/jump/beach launch through breakers etc...
i will go out in any conditions (mostly lake erie)and my quiver has 4.0, 5.0 wave sails and 7.7 freeride sail.
what kind of fins should i be thinking of adding on. I think i want a wave fin for the ocean. what size and description do i look for. would on-shore wave fins work for me??
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

If you can waterstart, you should be looking for a smaller board, not fin for the 5.0-4.0 sails. The big board is going to severely hold you back from achieving those skills in higher wind. Its a great board for the 7.7 though. Also if you shop, you can get a used wave board for almost the price of a few new fins. If you cant waterstart, its time to learn. That is holding you back more than anything.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

I have to agree with Carl. It sounds like you are just getting started. Learn to water start and get good with yur 7.7, then look for a new board. Your board is not made for that 4.0 and 5.0 sail. A 148 liter board with flat water, the 5.0 might be possible, but the 4.0 has no chance.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

It maybe easier to learn to waterstart with a 6.0 or 6.3 than the 7.7. It might be a long wait to get enough wind for the 5.0, depending on wind, at your locale. Sail size also depends on how heavy you are. You probably could do it with the 7.7 if you got a floatation vest and good instruction.
cotter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

oh yeah baby..i can water start, beach start, tack, full time harness operations and foot straps. jibe? not yet
cotter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

oops..forgot to ask...so if i can do all the above and im 180 pounds...what kind of board am i looking for next (wave ~100L??)?
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

Excellent! Yes, ~100L sounds good, youll notice a big difference. You may want to go for a freestyle-wave as your first small board. They plane up a little quicker and are more versatile than a pure wave bd and they can still handle the waves youll most likely be riding.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: RE: how to select new fins Reply with quote

cotter where on lake erie do you sail?i sail on lake erie also live in erie,pa. hunt the wind from ohio to buffalo,ny. i am 185 lbs.sailing 20 plus years the other posters are correct you need a smaller board under 100ltrs. would be good 85 would be excellent so you can use 5.5 down on it.lots to choose from nowdays.had 60 days sailing on lake erie last year from 6.2 to 3.2 most used 5.4&4.7 on 250 75ltr.&253 90ltr. boards if i had a bigger board and rig i would have more days maybe this year.i you can,t get another board the small fin idea will work but a smaller board is much easier in the neverending lake erie shorepound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: