myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
back loops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farabi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: back loops Reply with quote

i started trying them today Smile landed on the nose few times after rotating for about 250 degrees.
Sequence was: carv a bit into ramp, kinda throw the board over head, put the sail back.
WHen, i was lending first nose of the board, then my body and the rest of the board at the same time ). i felt like i need to rotate just a little bit more so the clue will go through the wind.
My friend who watched me sad that i was going pretty high, in his opinion, though im not sure i was going high enough.
Any tips from a backlooper? )

P.S. i was trying them in onshore conditions with 4.5 sail..

whats the bigest sail size you can normaly do it with?
reallybigair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: RE: back loops Reply with quote

To really rotate backloops (in control) it is best to have enough air so that at the apex you are not going forward. To be more specific, the jump should have a point when you are just hanging in the air just before you cross the eye of the wind. Often in onshore or small conditions the velocity of rotation faster and in order to land in control from a full rotation it takes lots of trial and error. In both situations, if you are using a 4.5 you will not want to land on a beam reach, there will be major power in the sail. If you are landing nose fist on a broad reach you are doing them correctly, With a bit of practice you will be able to refine the decent of the jump to land at different angles. Onshore conditions are more diffcult than side shore, sail size may not an issue. I seen guys doing them on 5.7s, my biggest sail is a 5,3 so I cant help out
fred1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: RE: back loops Reply with quote

Backloop is my favorite move! Speed is a key factor. You need a nice ramp and nice speed so you can jump prety high. On the ramp, try to go upwind. Then do a big high jump. At the apex of the jump, turn your head down and look to the water. It will help your board and your body to rotate. Dont push on your legs, keep them bend. When you board hits the water on the nose, your need to open your back hand so the wind can blow in your sail and help you finish the turn. (at the beginning, you will open it to early and ...youll see Smile)
You dont need to turn 360 to land a backloop. 290 is enough. Then you will restart with a waterstart with a big smile on your face...The higher you go. the easier it is...
I do it with a 5.4...
Have fun!
Fred
ethurlow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: RE: back loops Reply with quote

Hi Fred- You mean sheet out at the end when you land?

I know what you mean by sheeting out too early (and going into a faster rotation like a push loop)....sometimes landing on my gear and hitting my face on the boom can give me a double chin {:~)).

Thank you.
hionwind@att.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: RE: back loops Reply with quote

first of all i would like to say that i learned back loops on my own so i dont know any of the tips that i pro might tell you. so here is my personal suggestion. i sail in the bay area at either 3rd ave or rio vista, so most of my back loops are off big chop, not breaking waves. if you are trying them off big waves then they should be fairly easy. the main tip i can tell you is spot your landing as soon as you take off. throw your head back and look back at the water and your rig will follow you. and finally, although it is easier to do them when you get big air, i have seen tyson poor do them only 6-8 feet in the air. just keep trying and youll get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: