myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windlover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

Im guessing you are refering to the Clincher Ultimate Grip Gloves. Their theory sounds reasonable. Same theory is taught for rock climbing.

Key to reducing arm fatigue in the muscles is keeping the arms straight as much as possible. Holding the boom with bent arms uses the muscles. Keeping them straight puts the burden on the skeletal structure.

Those gloves DO sound nice though. I just wonder how that strip of nylon webbing affects the grip on a boom?
stmark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

I havent used the dowel grips, but Ive tried the regular palm protectors instead of gloves for blister protection. Its a good design, but the leather is a bit too thick and it gets crudded up when it gets wet and then dries out.
gemoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

These look interesting, but I honestly dont think theyre necessary. With the exception of certain really intense forms of sailing (ie, pumping a longboard, intense wave sailing), fatigue in hands / arms is mainly attributable to improper technique. I typically sail for hours without stopping. My hands actually get the most tired after 5-6 hours on the water, when the wind is light, and I cant spend much time in the harness and have to pump a lot. At the end of days like that, I get to where I just cant hold on anymore.

If thats your thing, then ignore the rest of this post. But if youre an intermediate sailor having some trouble with fatigue, read on.

First off, when fully sheeted in, your front arm should be *pushing* through the palm/heel of your hand, rather than pulling. No reason to be gripping the boom at all. Front hand push, back hand pull. Only when you pump, or catch yourself from falling back, should you be pulling on the boom with both hands.

Second, if your back hand is tired from sheeting in, your harness lines are probably not positioned around the center of effort (CoE). Some sailors like the sail a little bit back handy, meaning that the sail has to be actively sheeted in *because* they have set the harness lines a bit forward of the CoE. But with carefull harness line settings, this shouldnt be overly fatiguing. If you cant let go of the boom with BOTH hands, and sail hooked in with no hands, then your harness lines are not centered.

Third, if you are sailing with your arms bent (as Windlover speculated and I suspect is likely), then your harness lines are too short and/or you arent arching your back enough. This causes you to bend your arms and hang off of the boom. Very fatiguing.

Add up all three of these mistakes, and you could have serious grip fatigue. Given that no pro sailors use gloves like the ones that have been posted, I think its very unlikely that they will solve your problem.

If you have grip fatigue when you arent windsurfing, then you probably should get it checked out by a sports med doc. But here Im referring to conditions where people are noticably weak. I doubt this is your problem.

Regards
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

Right on! The hands should never get fatigued. However, I dont recommend pulling on the boom with both hands when falling back. That is the grip off death as you will pull the sail over you and lose much needed power. It is better to squat down and try to push the sail verticle while hanging down on the boom.

Coach G
gemoore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

Much more well put, coach. Falling back and pulling wont work - you flop in the water. Squatting down, staying over the board, and putting pressure into the mast base by hanging off the boom does work.

The point I had wanted to make was that saving a fall is a situation where you sometimes have to grip forcefully because youre pulling (hanging on, really) with both hands.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Gymnast Grips For Windsurfing Reply with quote

Your harness should support close to 90% of your weight except during a jibe, when there is very little pull from the sail anyway. Thats especially true in BAFing (sailing Back And Forth in straight lines), and still true in bashing and slashing or wave sailing if using a Reactor roller bar (I wont sail without one). Im an old fart and dont get grip fatigue in my 4-5-hour sessions of 100% planing; I know of at least one guy who CLAIMS his sessions run TEN HOURS ... on a plane ... overpowered ... in the Gorge.

Yer hands and arms are for jibing, not sailing.

Mike \m/
jiminy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all your input. Turns out im just a bit of a newbie to the sport. A combination of uphauling a lot and not hooking in enough make my forearms feel like they are going to explode midway into a session, and i would say i have pretty good grip strength in general. Ive just started getting the hang of waterstarting and am learning to set my lines properly so im not so afraid to hook in anymore. A couple catapults and i was boycotting the harness when the wind was too patchy.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: RE: THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE Reply with quote

I began using a harness about my third or fourth day on the water. It is INDISPENSABLE tp the learning curve, as it increases TOW by hundreds of percent. Catapults are part of the learning process, mitigated by a) dropping your butt towards your back foot when you get too light on your feet, b) wearing a helmet and rib protection so catapults are no big deal, c) controlling your fall during a catapult (I still get a few on the GOOD days after 24 years at this), d) learning better sheeting control (its your throttle), and e) getting in the straps ASAP.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: