myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bodega Head Wave Sailing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Bodega Head Wave Sailing... Reply with quote

Does anyone have much experience sailing the waves off Bodega Head? Ive sailed them a few times on Southerlies... perfect port tack, but I always stay on the shoulder and avoid the main part of the break because I dont know where the rocks are... Does anyone have any experience here? Care to Share? Thanx...
jibes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Bodega Head Wave Sailing... Reply with quote

Hey Lee D,
Yeah thats part of my problem - no other sailors out there... a little too lonely, combined with the unfamiliarity. When the storm winds are S/SE, (pre SW shift), its an easy jaunt out there, and its perfect port tack (if ports your thing - its not really mine). Once it goes SW,
it does become an upwind ordeal, plus the wave riding becomes the onshore game... not quite as enticing! I look forward to trying it on a NW... usually when its NW, Im down South at the usual spots or sailing Dillon or Tuba. On a NW, its definitely a long trip out there from Seans spot... Anyway back to the rocks - Other than the ones you can see, do you have to worry about any just below the surface? Thats a big concern of mine.
Thanks,
J
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: RE: Bodega Head Wave Sailing... Reply with quote

LeeD,
The BH crew quit windsurfing for new challenges? Please tell us what that sport is. It must be more challenging than big wave windsurfing. I bet Robbie and the rest of the Jaws crew would like to hear about it too. I could see where raising 3 kids would be more of a challenge but Id rather just windsurf, I guess.
jibes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Bodega Head Wave Sailing... Reply with quote

Hey LD,
This is an interesting discussion... I think the mag pic youre thinking of was one of the Windtracks Journals? I dont know Tibor, but Id like to have some sailing buds up that way...

Its been a while since Ive explored the coast up there for sailing, and living down South of the city, Im not up there too often. I know where Goat Rock is (S. of Jenner), but you lost me on the others. Ive sailed as far North as Schooner Gulch, just S. of Point Arena... Thats a seriously windy stretch of coastline without many decent launches.
J
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: RE: Bodega Head Wave Sailing... Reply with quote

Leed, thanks for the response. I just wondered how these guys get their adrenalin fun since they quit w.s.ing.
They must have had the shakes for 2 years, quitting cold turkey! Personally, I see myself w.s.ing until im 80+. There are pleanty of family guys that also windsurf. Some of them sail with older, cheeper gear, but who cares, it still works.
I could understand sailing less often and doing other things too.
But there are VERY few other sports that offer the combination of intense fun and almost endless skill challenges, with relative safety. Plus there are so many disciplins to master: (racing, freestyle, speed, bump, waves and kites too). I cant believe these Sebastapol guys are just puttering around the garage on weekends. Is there another (relatively safe)sport that offers this level of fun?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: