myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Domin.Repub.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bardwell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

Thinking about going to DR sometime in March. Anybody have any tips or recommendations?
jeremystevenson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

I just got back from the DR. We went Windsurfing and learned kite sailing with Vela.

Vela had a huge amount of top notch windsurfing equipment. The wind (as predicted) was a bit iffy over Christmas. However, there was great surf and conditions are improving as the year rolls on.

I wasnt super impressed with Vela kite sailing. The kite beach there is over crowded which makes learning very difficult. At one point there were too many students to each instructor. Also, you had to take equipment to the kite beach. If you didnt have the right sail you were stuck.

I did, however, learn to kite and had a lot of fun!

As for accommodations I would definitely NOT stay at the Albatross - go for Estrella Del Mar (all inclusive not through Vela) or best bet would be El Magnifico - it is worth the extra money.

For eats I would check into Pizza Villa and Miros.

Have fun!
thornton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

Just got back from DR:
http://www.hispaniola.com/Cabarete/hotels.html is a good site to check out accomodations. Stayed at Albatros - was OK, cheap, clean and relatively quiet. Best place that I saw was Cabarete Palm Beach Condos / Studios. Hotel Sans Souci Beach had the most features for the money - a/c, cable TV, fridge, ocean view but be prepared to stay up late with the music down below. Everyone had good rental gear except for the German outfit in front of Villa Taina (called Happy Surfpool or something like that). Their rigs weighed a ton. Club Nathalie Simon had great large gear, Vela, Fanatic Fun Center and Carib Bic Center all had quality stuff, Club Mistral looked good but they were so far down the beach (East) that they were away from the action (and customers). Papys had the best food that we tried.
wilmeaux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

Cabrete? Its great. Make it 2 weeks, if you can water start. Both of the sailboard rental places are good, equipment, staff and prices. Watch for some of the street vendors. The beach front restaruants and bars are all great. You will love the prices, the people, the beach and the sailing, if you can use the harnes and straps. Youll need them.
dmarotta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

Stayed at Palm Beach Condos.Great place and a short walk to Vela and near great restaurants.
SCarrolla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

I went to the DR last March and had a blast! I would suggest staying at the WindSurf resort and renting gear from the Carib Bic Center. You can get a 10 day package for around $800!
zoido

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: RE: cita del sol and vela Reply with quote

i`m in cabarete right now, been here since december 21st. windy since christmas, sailing about 2 out of 3 days. march should be better. i`m staying at cita del sol for $50/night (citadelsol.com) and sailing with Vela. have been coming here twice a year for six years and there is no question these are the best places to stay/sail. location location location. everything you could need within 200 yards! estrella del mar and palm beach condos are ok if $$ is no object, but both have their problems.
enjoy cabarete! its way fun here. vela has the 2002 equipment not even reviewed yet by the mags. its beautiful!
LakeNokomis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: RE: Domin.Repub.? Reply with quote

Look at http://the-secretgarden.com. This is an exceptionally nice place at a great price.Its a little out of town, between Sosua and Cabarete, but its a short gua-gua ride (5pesos each way). They have a combo deal for gear with Fanatic Cabarete. Tell them the Webmeister sent you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: