myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Intermed q: stay on plane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:12 am    Post subject: Intermed q: stay on plane Reply with quote

I am intermediate skill level, started last season on a longboard and am now on a 295/130l F2 Xantos most of the time. I started getting the pieces together (harness positoning and length, mast foot and boom positioning, different sail sizes and tuning). On a good day (15-20 mph, flat water) i make it on a plane on the F2 by sheeting in with the harness. That makes me SO proud. But now there is a new problem: I get on a plane, everything is nice, groovy and dialed, and i get ready to get into the footstraps, but i stay on the plane ONLY if i head slightly downwind. As soon as i try to get on a course which would bring me back to were i started (no currents where i sail), i immediately drop down and lose all the exciting drive. I tried it all, leaning the sail just slightly back, gently pushing on the rail, but as soon as i change anything, i loose it, sometimes even to the point were i stall the sail. All the other folks get it together, so there IS a way to do it right...
Is it that i am still not gentle enough in applying any sail and rail force, or is there another piece missing i do not know of?
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Intermed q: stay on plane Reply with quote

Hey bro

Im about the same skill as you, I just finally got in the straps. I also ride Xantos after totalling my wide style board trying to get in straps..its definately the best board for learning this.
Ill also be waiting for the real experts to answer, but I will share something Ive learned:

you may need more power. If you can plane downwind on a 5.0, you can plane upwind with a 5.5. If you cant get upwind while in the harness, youre underpowered.

I suppose theres a lot of other factors, but for me, I find that if theres enough wind to beach start in waist deep water, staying upwind will not be a problem.

happy sailing

Mike
1aloop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Intermed q: stay on plane Reply with quote

Mlaronde is right you probably need more sail. But let yourself continue slightly down wind till you do get in your foot straps, at that point if you do have enough power you’ll gain more speed, then start worrying about where you are going. Getting in your foot straps and going up wind are hard to do when under powered
djohel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Intermed q: stay on plane Reply with quote

Two things that could be wrong:
Your weight is over the tail of the board rather than off the side. Youre standing too straight up.
(assuming youre not sheeting out slightly)
Next time youre on a plane, make sure you really feel the pull of the sail. If not, hike your body out over the rail. If you dont fall in the water, then you have the necessary sail pull to point up wind. Keep pressure off the windward rail (heels).
davidstackhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Intermed q: stay on plane Reply with quote

The first thing is you need to be sitting ALL YOUR WEIGHT into the harness. If you cant do this, you wont plane. When you DO sit all your weight into the harness, you will not be standing on the board, you will be hovering alongside it with your feet perched somewhere on the deck or rails of the board. From this position you can move your feet around (into and out of the straps) without affecting your board speed. If you cant sit in the harness, you either dont have enough sail up, or you have your harness lines in the wrong spot. Harness lines should be about one hand width apart, and centered in the power spot of the sail when fully powered up. Get harnessed by pumping for some speed, hooking in and taking some weight off the hands and into the harness until you are sitting fully. Sometimes you need to continue to pump the sail (use the back hand) or pump the board (sort of a scooching motion with your legs as you continue to sit into the harness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: