myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 piece mast stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethanford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:07 pm    Post subject: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

Two out of three of my two piece masts are stuck together. Ive tried the two boom thing and that doesnt work. Ive had ten guys twisting and that didnt work. Anybody got any other ideas?
Maxke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:50 am    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

galeforce79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:09 pm    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

i have the same problem, i have a powerex, (never getting that brand again) it is one pice now, but if they are less than one year old, snap the thing, and use your warenty. other than that, you have a one pice, some say you can cut the top off and just buy a new top, but i dont travel so i use my 1 pice. it is eayser to use since my sail has a tight tip anyway. have two people, one on each end, shake it so the mast will flex a lot, some say that helps. if you can find a way to tie two cars to each end and have a solid pull, let me know, i want my mast apart.
psmith7725

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:59 pm    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

Hi,

You need to get a couple of plumbers strap wrenches. They will grip the mast pieces without damaging them. Turn them in opposite directions while spraying water from a hose on the joint.

Good luck!
floridawavesalor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:26 am    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

We just unstuck one and the ten person twisting method failed, it was unstuck with one on each end oscillating it back and forth, it took a while and ten people shaking two at a time but it moved slowly but surely.
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:40 pm    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

This has always worked for me:
1. Start boiling a large pot of water.
2. With a tie down strap or something similar, last one end of the mast to something solid, such as the fork of a tree close to the ground.
3. Lash a car engine chain hoist or similar (mine was 2.5 ton), to the other end, securing the other end to a building or tree.
4. Put some tension on the mast - perhaps a few hundred pounds.
5. Get a rubber mallet and start puring the boiling water over the joint while bashing the joint with the mallet.

Increase the tension if this doesnt work. It will eventually come apart. It worked easily for me on masts that others had long given up on.

Rod Armstrong
tadkendall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

RGA is right, heat is your friend. Heat the outer part of the mast with hot water, a lighter or whatever. The outer edge of the mast will expand from the heat and then you can use the two boom method to twist it apart. It works every time.
pjacob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: RE: 2 piece mast stuck Reply with quote

I am laughing listening to all these suggestions. Definitely do not use the two cars driving in opposite directions method. You just need to twist the two parts in opposite directions so the plumbers wrenches are the best method. secure the bottom portion to a tree or something using a nylon lashing and then twist with the wrench on the other side. Water may help. I also found once I finally got it off that I had to lube it with bike chain lube everytime i went out to avoid the problem recurring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: