myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping vs. Vulcans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmoy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:49 am    Post subject: Looping vs. Vulcans Reply with quote

I want to find out how similar the set up is for a vulcan vs. a loop barrel style. I have been practicing the vulcans. Havent yet to come out clean.. only a matter of time.

I know for a vulcan, your bear off, hit a ramp, twist your lower body around and look back. Is this the same type of set up for the simle loop? Except you sheet in like a laydown jibe instead of letting the clew go?
floridawavesalor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 9:17 am    Post subject: RE: Looping vs. Vulcans Reply with quote

Yeh bra, is da same butta difrent kine. it is similar because you gotta get the board going around on both moves. but is completely different because you ball up and use the sail to whip you and your board around while vulcan you kind of leave the sail alone and only flip board. hows that from someone who cant do either one. Ive been doing forward loop rotations with the sail only and can waterstart back up but i dont bring the board with me so i was thinking of trying a few vulcan attempts and then put them together. but theres no wind in florida so i have time to answer questions I dont know the answer to. good luck.
flaherty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 10:30 am    Post subject: RE: Looping vs. Vulcans Reply with quote

How do you do a forward loop
rotation with the sail only?
floridawavesalor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 8:11 am    Post subject: RE: Looping vs. Vulcans Reply with quote

It is something that can be used to avoid pain and breaking the nose of the board if you are going to get pitched or just as light wind practice if you are bored. If you are getting slammed forward(pretty scary) then instead of just being the victim and catapulting until you hit the water and maybe nose of board hard pull in tight with your back hand hard and ultimately look back to the back of the boom. You have nothing to lose. I went from painful slams to rotating right around to a waterstart position. When the wind is light, I lean the sail forward and downwind then when it pulls you over and downwind pull in hard with your backhand. look back and let yourself get pulled around by the sail. by leaning and going downwind with the sail, but the board can still be going across the wind, you should be clear of the front of the board and fall into the water downwind. I do this when there is almost no wind sometimes but when you get the feeling you can feel the sail pull you around then just depower. a little more wind will help momentum you into the rotation. Im trying to find the chicken method to forwards and this seems to be a start, but where I sail we dont get many days and when it gets good I usually forget about going for a real forward with the board. When I was getting slammed my downhaul was slipping but i didnt realize and it ended with this technique which has saved me alot of pain. if I can end up on the board at the end maybe Ill get to name it, enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: