myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Straps & Mast position.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raulm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:52 am    Post subject: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

Few questions:
1.- Im learning to use the straps and would like to check if they are in the right position. I have a Mistral/Evolution 310 length and 149 lit. I feel like the straps are too far back on the board even they are the most forward they can be on the stardard pad of the board. Is this a right board to learn how use straps?
2.- Also, The board has a rail for the mast. Where should I set the mast? I using it on the 4 position, is it right?
3.- How you guys rate the board, freeride? what could be my next board? (Im 182 pounds).

One more thing: This site is GREAT!
dim27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

I have almost the same question.
When I tried to put feet into the straps – the board immediately turns upwind.
Where should I move the mast base to avoid this?
I have a BIC Thechno 283.
Thanks
gemoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

The Evolution was my first board; I weigh 10-15 lbs less than you. I sailed it with the centerboard in, but up almost all the time. I only put it down when the wind died and I needed to schlogg upwind.

The Evolution is adequate to learn the use of footstraps, but once I got below 7.0 (maybe 7.5 for you), the ride got a little bouncy because of the flat bottom. If you have the mast track in position 4, thats good. I think I used to have it from 2.5-3.5, but now Id recommend getting it as far back as you can handle.

The main tricks in getting into the straps are: 1) get some power in the rig, 2) hang DOWN on the boom, 3) just pick up your front foot, move it behind the strap and slide it into the strap (just do it in one movement, dont look down, just DO it by feel) and 4) then extend your leg. Stay sheeted in.

Once youve gotten your front foot in, sail that way for a while. Get a feel for it. When youre comfortable with this position, you can heel-toe your back foot until it touches the strap and then squirm it in. After a while, youll figure out how to just pick it up and put it in.

The good thing is that once you get it, youll wonder why it seemed to be so difficult!

In sum, at some point youll want a real shortboard, but the Evolution will work for now.
Bon chance

GEM
raulm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

GEM thanks for your feedback. Three more question for you:
1.- Why did you keep the centerboar up almost all the time? Should I do the same? I have it down all the time.
2.- I have a Gasstra 6.2, is it to small? what did you use?
3.- What was your next board?

THANKS again!
1aloop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

I didn’t notice any mention of a harness, I think that should be learned before or at least at the same time as footstraps. You pretty much have to be in your harness to be in your footstraps, hang all your weight on your harness while you are getting your feet in the straps, that will help keep your board from rounding up
bronson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 1:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

I have a 310 board as well and remember having to struggle to get back to the straps. The key was to move the straps as far forward as possible (which you have done) and off the back rail if you have this option. I went to one strap in the back.

Also, make sure you are comfortable planing. Try moving the mast track more forward than back. This will help get you planing quickly (however moving it too far forward means farther back to the straps). When you are on a plane, practice putting your back foot near or on the back strap. Learn to keep your weight on the boom(If you put too much weight on the back of the board, you will sink the tail and carve up wind). The key here is to be fully powered up and planing!!!

Slip your back foot in. If you turn up wind, you are most likely not putting enough weight on the boom and putting too much weight on the tail. If you find yourself heading into the wind lighten the load on the back foot. Try to lever the front of the board off wind by hanging on the boom and pushing on the mast foot with your front foot. Once you are heading in the right direction,put your front foot in and rip!

A harness will help you in this process. I was told that you had to learn the harness first but I learned to get into the straps first.

Rip it up!

Bronson
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

#1 - The Evolution is OK as a big board for small people, or as a board for learning to ride a shortboard when you arent certain of your abilities to get upwind. I got it because it worked OK as a one-board, sail anytime board. At the time, longboards were the only other such option.

The Evo is small enough to try to ride as a shortboard most of the time; large enough to go in the cruise around longboard mode when the wind is light. Newer large shortboards, the wide ones, offer MUCH better performance when planing, but the Evolution you have was undoubtedly a lot cheaper. Not an inconsequential factor for a beginner whos unsure of how much to get into the sport. As a board to learn on, the Evo is fine. So learn, and ride it with the centerboard up!

#2 - Assuming youre the usual 70 kg guy, a 6.2 is pushing the bottom limit of sail size, I think. Cant say how big it can go, but Id guess about 7.5 - 8.0

#3 - Two boards. A screamer and a one-design, both great boards, but these choices are irrelevant since you have much better alternatives today.

GEM
raulm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:02 am    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

Thanks GEM, You have made the sport easier.
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

I doubt anything I can do or say will make it any easier, but Im humbled by your sentiment.

BTW, for bigger sails than your 6.2, try putting in a slightly bigger fin than the stock fin that comes with the board...maybe 5 cm or so longer.

GEM
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Straps & Mast position. Reply with quote

Boards round up because you
are not applying enough mast foot pressure to keep the nose pointing off the wind.

Which means you are not getting weight onto the booms.

Assuming you are in a harness, most peoples problem is that they are not using the harness properly, they are still using their arms a lot.

Try the following. In the harness, release your grip on the boom by straightening the fingers on both hands. Your palms can still be touching the boom, ready to grip again in a hurry if you need to. Try pushing the boom away from you with both hands, especially the front.

If you are committed to your harness lines, then you should be able to sail happily in this postition for a long time without
getting catapulted, etc All this is
assuming youre harness lines are in the right position of course, which they very rarely are for in experienced sailors. To position them correctly, try sailing with only one hand on the boom. If you take your front hand off, and immediately you have to put it back on again to stop the mast from flying downwind, then your front harness line needs to be adjusted closer to the mast. If the mast pulls upwind, then the front harness line needs to move towards the clew. Continue exerimenting like this, moving the lines around, until you get them in the right position. Same argument applies to the rear harness line position.

Once they lines are correctly adjusted position wise, everything becomes SO much easier. Then you can really commit your weight to the harness, and not grip the boom to death. At which point you have very little weight on your feet, and therefore you can move them around a lot on the board without rounding up, etc.

Concentrate on trying this loosening of your grip and pushing the boom away from you with straight-ish arms, especially when you are trying to work on the back footstrap. The idea is to have no weight on your back foot cos its all on the harness, hence you are free to move it (your back foot) anywhere you want, and take your time doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: