myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wideboard Conspiracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmosher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 1:17 pm    Post subject: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

I just wanted to relay my experiences trying to use a large sail (8.5 m^2) and a big fin (19 inches) on a conventional (non-widestyle) board. The board that I have used is a Mistral Echo 298 (138 liters). When I asked a few local stores whether I should purchase a big sail and fin for my Echo, at least 3 sales people advised against it and suggested that I needed to buy a widestyle board to use that large a sail/fin. One even suggested that the force from the fin would rip my finbox out.

Well, I went ahead anyway and bought a Neil Pryde StreetRacer V8 (8.5 m^2) and swept 18.9 inch fin. The sales guys could not have been more wrong. The board/rig/fin combo could not work better. Ive used it from 10-25 knots and it feels great. Ill admit that a widestyle could maybe get me planing in slightly less wind, but that is not worth selling my Echo for.
laudermouth

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

If your using an 8.5 in 10 to 25 knots.......oh well I wont go there but we go light air wave sailing in 10 to 25 with 5.5m on 86 wave boards. well you have yourself a good time with 8.5m tent I mean sail hee heee heee. p. s. wimpy me at 200lbs. cant hold on to a 6.5m in 20knots but I hope to as strong as you some day.
dmosher

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 9:30 am    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

The problem with sailing on lakes is that you dont often get a consistent 15 knots of wind. It tends to be very gusty. My point was that we often get days where it is 10-15 knots with the odd gust of 20-25 knots. The solution to sailing happily is to take a larger sail and put on the max downhaul. This allows you to handle the lulls and the odd strong gust.

Just trying to give some helpful advice in case you someday get doomed to live in a place without consistent wind and no waves.
jada

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 9:44 am    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

I did the same thing. I sail an 8.0 V8 on a Bic 298 with a 50 cm blade. If its 5 to 15 (typical in the midwest) Im pumping onto a plane at 10 and holding the plane. If it gets to be 15 or better, I go down to my Mistral Score and 6.0.

Bottom line is, the fins make a HUGE difference in pumping to plane and holding it. Once the board is flying the lift gets a little touchy - but well worth the extra planing time.
quattro

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 9:02 am    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

I put a 9.0 V8 on my Bic Veloce 310 with at 51cm True Ames sweeper. Works like a charm, and makes lighter wind sailing great fun.
russob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

I sold my Mistral Echo (138L) after 4 years of loyal service to purchase a widestyle Mistral Vision 130. The shorter Vision 130 is much more fun and fast. I am limited to a 8.0M sail on the shorter board but that is adequate for Alameda, CA. I can plane in winds of 10 knots using the Vision 130 and the short board handles much better in medium to high winds with chop than the Echo.
us85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 6:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Wideboard Conspiracy Reply with quote

I have often been out on my 8.5 on days where it slowly builds from 8-10 up to 20+ and I am either too lazy to re-rig or too scared that the wind wont hold up. An adjustable outhaul helps and if that doesnt take care of it, I just hop off and downhaul a little more. (This is in flat water conditions.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: