myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
harness line problem, maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galeforce79

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 3:01 pm    Post subject: harness line problem, maybe? Reply with quote

when i am strait sailing in a strong breese, i feel like my back hand has to pull soo much but my front hand is barely holding on, would it be my harness line is to far forward? an other question is dealing when im in the straps. i feel anytime i can actualy get in both straps i feel i am leaning right forward toward the tip of the board, it feels off ballance, any way i can fix that?
spyder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 3:44 am    Post subject: RE: harness line problem, maybe? Reply with quote

it sounds like there are two problems, one the harness lines need to be balanced on the boom about the Center of Effort (COE) of the sail, and second, the mast base position needs to be located properly for the sail size.

Also check to see if you have rigged the sail correctly, such as sufficient downhaul and outhaul.

To locate the COE, grab the boom with one hand and sheet in some. Find the point where the sail balances. Then locate the harness lines about your fist, so when you hook in the balance point is achieved.

Then locate the proper mast base position for the sail you rigged. Determine the relaxed, planing sailing stance you want and draw a line from the COE to the foot of the sail (in that position), then measure from that point on the foot to the mast extension. The distance between the mast base and the middle of the area between the front/rear footstraps will be this sail measurement that you figured out.

So now when you sheet in the COE will be at about the middle of your stance when you are planing. The rig shouldnt pull forward or to the rear, if it does, you need to check the COE and the mast base setting.

hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: