myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
jibe theorists wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmith7725

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 2:41 pm    Post subject: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

Hi,

Heres the question. Using a long board (with dagger board completely retracted) or a short board ...
am I right in stating that a non-planing pivot jibe requires you to press on the windward rail to turn downwind.

Why is it the windward and not the leeward rail as is the case for the carved jibe.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

Stepping on the windward rail raises the front leeward rail, preventing it from digging in/hanging up as it swings across the water.

Its the SAIL that drives the board through the turn; the raised front rail simply provides less resistance to the sails force.

At least, thats MY theory ... and the way I was taught to do em.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 1:25 am    Post subject: RE: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

In the non-planing jibe you tilt the rig to windward, this puts a force on the board at the windward side. Therefore, if the windward rail is pressured, the pivot point is windward, with little resistance it turns in the water. Conversely, if you press the leeward rail, the rail will dig, resisting the windward force of the rig, which doesnt work very well.

So, in a non-planing jibe, the pivotal point is made by tilting the rig windward, and pressuring the windward rail (and standing near the tail).

In the carving jibe, you are going so fast, that the leeward rail planes in the water, to support you through the turn, as the sail is sheeted in on the leeward side.
psmith7725

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 8:24 am    Post subject: RE: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

Hi Spyder & Isobars,

Thanks a lot for straightening me out. I had posted a similar message on another windsurfing forum and didnt get anything light the simple and satisfactory answers you both gave me.

Cheers
RSGIBSON

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 6:07 pm    Post subject: RE: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

I think the responses you got were correct, but are still overly complicated. The key is to get your weight back on the tail, sinking it, which raises the nose out of the water. If you can get the wetted area of the board under the mast to raise from the water, then it doesnt matter if you pressure either rail, the board will bear off the wind. It does help to tip the rig to windward. By sinking the tail and raising the nose, you efffectivly move the center of lateral resistance behind the center of effort (the rig) and the board will turn. This only works on a non-planing board. For fun, you can do this on a reach on a planing short board by deliberately sinking the tail while lifting up with the front footstrap, causing the board to flair into a sub-planing pivot turn. Be prepared, as things will happen quickly, but its great fun to try.
windsurf50

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 10:30 pm    Post subject: RE: jibe theorists wanted Reply with quote

Yeah. Mike is right. Take a piece of toast. Put a dollop of peanut butter on the right side. Now with your butter knife smear the butter to the left with the windward side down, then try it with the leeward side of the butter knife.

The knife cannot displace the peanut butter as well and just digs into the toast with the leeward side down.
good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: