myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
water start problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galeforce79

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 11:56 pm    Post subject: water start problem Reply with quote

when i try to waterstart i feel as if the board is soo far away from my feet and legs, when the sail is in the air and i go to step for the board i miss. the sail then pulls me too far over and i flip. any tips?
spyder

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 12:32 am    Post subject: RE: water start problem Reply with quote

Hi, this is a typical problem, easy solved by mainly keeping a wide grip on the boom, and keeping the front arm straight.

here are some tips to help.

1. wide grip on the boom, front hand near the mast

2. back foot positioned in between footstraps, so heel is slightly to the windward side (your side)

3. as you raise the sail, keep your front arm straight

4. as the sail develops power to help you up, start pulling the board under your butt as you bring the sail forward

5. target your front foot, right behind the mast base

practice sitting in the water with your back foot positioned as in tip #2, and use foot pressure and mast pressure to keep the board on a reach (perpendicular to the wind). this way you learn to keep the rig and board under control until you are ready to get up.

A final tip, is on a light wind waterstart, give the sail a couple of quick pumps to help you get up all the way. The main thing is to get that board under your butt, and get the rig forward.

hope this helps
windsurf50

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: RE: water start problem Reply with quote

Based on the assumption that you arent overpowered.

Point your board a little further down wind. When you lift the sail it will give you more of the instant power you need to get up on the board. (Because the sail will be in the sheeted in position relative to the wind) If that doesnt work. Get a bigger sail. Try lowering the boom a smidget too. It will transfer your weight down through the mast and let the sail have its way with you, rather than your weight keeping the sail down.

Good luck

Try it it works.
bronson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 11:14 pm    Post subject: RE: water start problem Reply with quote

Just learned to water start this year. I found that I had to really learn how to control (fly) the rig so that I could get my body in postition to water start. If you can control the power on the rig, you are able to use your feet to steer your board into the right postion. I usually get my back foot bewteen the straps and push with my forward foot at the mast to steer the board slightly down wind. As I power up the rig, the board usually turns slightly upwind so youll have to move the rig forward or back a little as needed. Also, controlling the rig and sheeting in gradually will help keep you from getting launched. Been there done that many a time.

Good luck,
Bronson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: