myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
?repair on Powerex Mast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slambo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 5:19 am    Post subject: ?repair on Powerex Mast Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 430 Windwing=Powerex mast(~70%carbon). There is a small area of ?crack or splintering in the area where the boom would attach. I use fiberspar carbon booms always w/ a mast protector. I have continued to use the mast in high winds & so far, the splintering area have not gotten worse. But it makes me nervous as heck.

? repair possible or is it normal wear for this type of mast? Thanks for your comments & advise. G
spyder

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 2:45 pm    Post subject: RE: ?repair on Powerex Mast Reply with quote

if this is where the 2 piece mast attaches, then the top is on its way to breaking.

if its on the body of the mast and NOT cracked, then you could coat it with epoxy to keep from getting more roughed up. then use a mast protector. check your boom to see if something is digging in.

if its truely cracked, then time to get a new mast, to save yourself a swim.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 5:09 pm    Post subject: RE: ?repair on Powerex Mast Reply with quote

One of my pampered (stored in PVC tubes, kept in shade when on the beach, never whacked against anything) Powerex masts simply crumbled and bent a foot above the boom. I can only guess it had seen too much uv (I wish theyd coat them with something in the sail cutout area, as they do on some masts now). Close inspection of my other Powerexes revealed some of the splintering youre seeing on one mast, in the same area as my failure -- above the boom in the cutout. It worried me enough to retire the mast, especially as often as I sail alone miles from my van in big winds and cold water.

Im guessing that the failure of one band of fibers has to weaken the mast, certainly increases the load on adjacent fibers, and MAY indicate the onset of uv-induced damage.

But, heck, ask Powerex. Just search on Powerex masts and ask the experts what designs and builds em in Salt Lake City.

Mike \m/
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: ?repair on Powerex Mast Reply with quote

Your description sounds like a boom crack. Minimal boom cracks can be glassed over, but you must essentially add several layers of glass wrap extending up/down at least twice the length of the crack. This creates a bump in the mast, and the strength of the repair is limited by how thick a bump you can fit in your boom clamp. Once repaired, you should consider the mast to be very suspect, and not use it to sail in treacherous waters. It would be better to put it on sails with light downhaul, or with school sails that arent heavily loaded. If you want to try (whats to lose?), the WEST System epoxy with 12 oz glass tape will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: