myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are Camber sails always better than camless ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBWIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 3:56 pm    Post subject: Are Camber sails always better than camless ? Reply with quote

I sail in a lake just for fun (freeride?) and I want to buy a couple of new sails (6 Mt and 8Mt) woudl you say tha camber ones are a lot better ??
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2001 1:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Are Camber sails always better than camless ? Reply with quote

cams make the sail more aerodynamic, producing a more consistent and stable ride through gusts/lulls, however makes it it heavier and harder to rig.

Personally I would go for 2 cam sail for those sizes But the large no-cams work well, but dont seem to be as powerful, and generally have to go up a 1/2 meter or so.

If you go no-cam, the rig will be lighter, and easier to manuver the sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Are Camber sails always better than camless ? Reply with quote

This has been discussed at length several times, by experts, sailmakers, and intermediates, on rec.windsurfing. The consensus is that the only thing cams do better is point. So if youre racing upwind for dollars, cams help. Otherwise, camless sails are just as fast, just as powerful, more maneuveable, much easier to rig and waterstart, lighrer, and less expansive than cammed sails. Compared to race sails, one would use a smaller camless sail, because race sails work only in very strong winds relative to sail size. I sail both lakes and the Gorge, and havent used a cam since the 1980s. Some of my sails have optional cams, but I prefer their extra maneuverability and lighter feel without the cams.

Mike \m/
zephyr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 9:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Are Camber sails always better than camless ? Reply with quote

For a your 8.0m I would want the cambers. The main drawbacks with the cambers are a litle more work to water-start, and not as smooth when jibing(flipping) the sail. For a large sail the advantages outweight the drawbacks. If you get shifty and unsteady winds the cambers will make your sailing smoother.
You dont need a full cambered sail (Race Sails) ... on a 8.0 around 3 cambers.
ROBWIN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:57 am    Post subject: Thanks a lot to all of you .Very good answers. Reply with quote

bbc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Are Camber sails always better than camless ? Reply with quote

I am a serious lake sailor, and have been using Neil Pryde V-8s only for about 7 years. The cam sail is superior to the non-cam for fun-type lake sailing, because it will hold its shape when the wind dies or is very light, and will handle strong gusts as well. The non-cams only good point (in my opinion) is they are slightly lighter when carrying them, and when waves or big chop is present. By the way, I have last years 6.0 and 8.0 for sale, in like-new condition. If interested, contact me at BBCcom@aol.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: