myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why is there a minimum sail size for a board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumeria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:47 am    Post subject: Why is there a minimum sail size for a board? Reply with quote

I just got my first board - a used Techno 283 and sail it with a 5.5m2 sail in the Bay area. However I notice that Bic is recommending a 6.5 - 9m2 sail

I have read people saying that even a 6m2 sail is too small. I was thinking about getting an even smaller sail for windier condtions (4.5 - 5m2). I weigh about 160lbs

What would go wrong with this idea - using a minimum sail 50% smaller than recommended? In windiy condistion, the board wouldnt necessarily go too fast, since I would have the smaller sail on...?

What sail sizes would people recommend for someone sailing in places like Berkeley and Alemeda who is at a begiining intermediate level.

thanks

peter

(also posted to rec.windsurfing)
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 4:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Why is there a minimum sail size for a board? Reply with quote

Well I dont Have any real answers to that, but I was teaching a friend to sail resently.
I sent him out on a 124 kerma (old pro-am junk), with a 3.3 and then a 4.0 wave sail and he complained that as the wind picked up that the board would catch more wind that the sails.. I put him on out with more sail after that.
a smaller sail would put you more near the mast and that would give more wetted surface to the board which in turn slows you down and lessens the fun of it all. hope this help you.

ask artofwindsurfing,
he knows everything...
rickp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Why is there a minimum sail size for a board? Reply with quote

Instead of minimum SAIL size, you could look at it as maximum WIND size. Cant speak for the Techno, but Id guess the sail range for my Fanatic Shark is 5.5 - 7.5; at least for my size (165#) and abilities. Gets pretty out of control if its windier than 5.5; but I can handle a smaller board fine in the same conditions.

rickp
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 5:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Why is there a minimum sail size for a board? Reply with quote

What I believe you will most likely find is that, in very light winds, a small sail on a large board is fine. You wont get planing but were talking about a different kind of sailing. When my wife and I go out in light evening air we call it drifting. A big board will go just about anywhere in those conditions. Its fun. Good exercise, too.

On the other hand, if its windy, windy enough so the smallest sail reccommended for the board is over powered, that board, depending on the weight of the sailor, will get wind under it and become difficult to keep down and control.

The equation is complex. It depends on your skill and weight. What is a large board for one person might be appropriate for another. A heavier person can keep a big board on the water when a lighter sailor will find that difficult. Last Spring in Hatteras, I sailed over to a couple of large fellows who were taking a rest in the shallows. I was on a 3.75m sail and an 86 80 liter Tiga. The wind was honking and throwing spray, something over 30 kts. The chop was 2 to 3 feet and rough. As I approached them I recognized their boards: Bic Astro Rocks, 92 long and 125 liters. I would have been flown out into the Atlantic on that board never to be seen again. I own one and, that day, it was lashed securely to the roof of my truck. Each of these guys weighed well over 200 lbs. and could keep the Astro Rocks on the water in those conditions. The sails, they were using, though werent all that much larger than mine, maybe 5.0s. I can sail 5.0 on the Astro Rock but would rather use a smaller board in 5.0m conditions. Here, (I weigh 150#)I like the combination of my 88 Seatrend, a 91 liter board with the 5.0m sail. Its quick, easy to turn and stays on the water.

And, it depends on chop. A given wind will put up chop depending on wind duration, fetch, water depth and some other factors specific to where you are sailing. A smaller board handles rough water more easily than a larger board in the same conditions for the same sailor.

Experimentation is the key. Pay attention to what feels comfortable. There is a centered and in-control feeling of the right combination of sailor weight, size and skill and wind speed and chop size, board and sail size. I have to add that the fin figures in here too, but I dont know much about that. I hope someone will field that one and I can learn with you.

As your skill changes, so will what you want to do on your board and the board that will most express the new-you-on-a-board will change.
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 6:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Why is there a minimum sail size for a board? Reply with quote

well the short answer is you can use a smaller sail than what is recommended..HOWEVER..it might be tough to control if you are powered up. It really depends on your skill, and what you find comfortable.

if the wind conditions warrant using a smaller sail and you only have this board, it will work. put in a smaller fin as well.

the main problem you will have is the mast track is only so long, so if you are operating with a much smaller sail than what is recommended then you wont line up the footstraps with the center of effort of the sail. you will feel imbalanced. but that doesnt mean you cant still sail that way, it just will be uncomfortable...and you might get launched from your harness if unbalanced.

so my recommendation is to eventually get a smaller board to match the sail, but go ahead and sail what you have in the meantime.
plumeria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 2:31 am    Post subject: Thanks everyone - plus the waterstart:-) Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful and very useful responses.

Well I was down at Candlestick on Sunday afternoon with my 5.5m2 and it was blowing quite a bit. I survived about 2.5 hours until sometime after 3 oclock when I got cold and I was having real problems uphauling in that wind. Took some spectacular harness launches at speed... maybe I should have gotten some frequent flier miles Smile

The thing I have been trying so hard to learn for the past few weeks is the waterstart. I got up maybe once in twenty or thirty attempts and that was where I could just touch the bottom. Flying the sail floating along is so much harder than when youre standing on the board Sad One small change in wind angle or sail angle and the sails flips it seems. I have to learn how to better control this. Next time Im at Shoreline Im going to put the board at various angles to the wind in shallow water, then put the sail at various angles to the board and lift up the sail to various degrees... to see what happens... maybe Ill even take some notes. Figuring out the board, sail and wind all interoperate is not very intuitive for me Sad

thanks again

peter
kipps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 4:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Thanks everyone - plus the waterstart:-) Reply with quote

Small tip that might help your waterstart learning--it worked with me--is to do butt sailing. Essentially, it amounts to getting used to handling the sail and its power from that position.

Butt-sailing is just what it sounds like... Do this where you can touch bottom (Shoreline might be more appropriate than the Stick for this). Get both feet up on the board (just resting there), your butt in the water, and just drift along downwind controlling the power of the sail and the direction of the board with your arms--no looking, chin against your chest. Do this on both tacks.

When Andy Brandt taught me to waterstart he had me do this for a couple of hours. After that, I was getting my waterstarts fairly consistently, since I had the sail handling feel. This should help keep the sail from flipping over (or going to the other side clew first) and having to start over positioning the gear--the most tiring part when youre in deep water.

Hope this helps.

-Kipps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: