myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave Boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 12:32 pm    Post subject: Wave Boards? Reply with quote

I asked about new sails and old boards. Thanks to everyone who responded. Your suggestions have been very helpful. I am considering buying a new(newer) board per those suggestions.

Every once in a while someone I know buys a wave board. In fact, last year in Hatteras when it blew 40 for 4 days and I needed a smaller board or be sidelined, I asked at the shop, and got (at a great deal whatever that means) an 86, 80 liter, virtually industructable Tiga wave board, so I actually own one. The conditions I ride it in are so wild I cant tell whats going on except that everythings happening at blazing speeds. It was a challenge just getting on it. Now, as I can, at last, find the foot straps at the speed of light, Im staying on it and making some gybes: always a surprise, but making some gybes. Im still sailing on the sound side, here, but there might not be much difference at 40G50. I dont know. Its bump and jump I love and want to learn. I like to play. Waves are where I find the most fun. I will be replacing my F2 280, 104 liter board. With what should I replace it? A wave board of the same displacement or a slalom board of a newer design? At the end of our week in Hatteras last year a friend plunked down the bucks for a Canadian, designed, Beeeieutiful custom wave board of about 130 liters. Im pretty sure he hasnt had the opportunity to sail it much. Was his a good choice? Whats the difference? What does a wave board do that the other wont and vice versa? I have noticed, by the way, that, when I am surfing and turning or just banging along, I sometimes fear Im going to bury the nose of my board in a wave at a rather high rate of speed with, I imagine, troublesome consequences. Should I be considering something with a more turned up nose or should I turn my nose up at those and stay where I was?
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 4:58 am    Post subject: RE: Wave Boards? Reply with quote

Hey Paul, sylvan is asking very important questions to you and he is right in that you need to get somthing that fits your MOST likly sail to use at your MOST likely sailing spot, which would match the MOST likly conditions at that location. My self, I prefer to use wave for bumps and jumps. my second board (also a custum glass) is more a wave salom (more wave but flatter). the second board is 96 about 120 liters and is my light to moderit board. the wave board for me is when its blowing and I can ride it without sinking (86 and about 70 or 80 liters?(not sure)) anyway if your looking at a getting a board that youll use when the wind aint strong enough for your shorty, then go with a wave salom so it will feel closer to what you realy want to ride without the need for a huricane to ride it. by the way, I call it a wave/salom, cause that is what i consider it to be. I dont know what the rest of the world calls that board. have fun....
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 4:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave Boards? Reply with quote

Sylvian,

The F2 280 is a Sputnik World Cup Edition. The volume is 104 liters.

It think it was made in the early 90s.

The sail I like to use with it most is a NP V6 6.5m. I sail that board down to 5.7m. In stronger wind I shift to my 5.0m and change boards to the Seatrend 88. Where I sail, 5.0 conditions for me throws up a chop that is more fun on the Seatrend.

I am 150 pounds and 57.

Conditions: I want to use in chop larger than 2 high. At one place we sail, the wind that will allow the 6.5m will generate 6 swells. I like those because I can turn on them but they seem to block the wind. I have to learn more about this. In the 2 to 3 chop the wind remains strong and I like to jump and turn. Here, such conditions exist in regions. You can sail in and out of them. If there isnt much fetch, the wind can be a solid 6.5 for me and the water much flatter.

I would like to find a used board. If I have to spring for a new one, so be it. That was a part of my original question. What are the advantages of new v.s. used or new but last years? I dont feel the urge to have the latest unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Thanks, Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: