myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stuck Mast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjudkins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 8:41 pm    Post subject: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

Any ideas on getting my alum mast extension unstuck from my carbo mast?
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

uh...probably sand stuck in there. the only solution I know is getting your buddies to hold on to the mast, while you pull like hell (twisting) the extension out.

you might try turning it upside down and banging it hard to try and dislodge the sand, but no guarantees.

maybe someone else knows something better.
jsmin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:14 am    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

Try tapping the joint area lightly with a rubber hammer while applying pressure.
hamblett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:32 am    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

This is just a guess but try and ice up the extension only (cover it with a couple bags of ice) then use the rubber mallet to tap the base of the mast.

Put a screw driver in the holes of the extension, as added leverage, and use the screw driver as a handle to turn the extension.

Just a tip. Never tried it myself.
bmergen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

I agree. Pack it with a bunch of ice. Stick some inside the extension if possible. The aluminum should shrink plenty to get it out. I would pack it full of ice and start pulling after about 30 sec. It shouldnt take long. The Al will cool much more quickly than the carbon. I you rigged in the sand the last time, dont do it again. I did once cause I was lazy... Never again. My extension wasnt stuck, but it was rather snug. Good luck.
rasdpm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

clamp a boom tight to the extension, and another to the mast, giving you a long lever arm, have someone hold one boom steady while you twist the other...next time you use this combo spit a fat hocker on the ext. for lubrication before inserting....
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

Yes, If it is a
Mast Base extention, Then icing it will help, but running cold water on it and tie a piece of rope to the extention, and then to your car bumper. Now yank (really hard with the mast) It will come out easly.
If its a mast tip extention, ice the mast and twist and pray.
mbvizer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:46 am    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

Big Phllips screw-driver across extention, if holes are present + $10.00 Strap wrench (works better than boom trick - never slips). Or two strap wrenches.
jhanrah1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 1:09 am    Post subject: RE: Stuck Mast Reply with quote

YOU GOT A MAST EXTENTION STUCK IN WHAT?? THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT HURTS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: