myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board cracking under footstraps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 11:07 am    Post subject: Board cracking under footstraps! Reply with quote

Help!

My trusty Bic E-Rock is starting to crack on the deck just above the rails near the back footstraps. The foams gone soft underneath as I can flex the deck by pushing on it with my fingers. I dont want to retire the board as it still sails great. (Plus its got the most wicked graphics and Neon of any board on the water Smile

Im thinking of stopping the cracks from propogating by covering them with epoxy. Any thoughts on repair methodologies anyone?

Thanks a lot

Rob
petedorr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Board cracking under footstraps! Reply with quote

Hey, me too. Nose is delaminating, crack near mast foot, cracks at heel of rear footstrap.

Cant complain though as my e-rock is about 10 years old.

Unlike you, Im hoping for the worst and will run to the shop for a new board when this one dies.

Back when I cared about the board I did some simple glass work on the rail and that has held up great for at least 8 years. Im sure with a little sanding, glass & epoxy you can extend the life of your board.

Just be sure to let it dry out well before doing the work.

epoxy by itself wont help in this situation, you will need some glass.
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 2:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Board cracking under footstraps! Reply with quote

Why you want to keep sailing that Board is beyond me. Having had one for two years you will be so much happier on a more modern board that will handle chop and wind with much greater finesse.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 12:27 am    Post subject: RE: Board cracking under footstraps! Reply with quote

Not being an expert on board repair, a do-it-yourselfer approach would be fiber glass cloth and resin. then maybe Re-Deck to get a grip. But if you want a decent job, then take it to a board repair shop. They could probably repair the surface pretty well...of course there is toss it and go to the nearest swap meet.
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 7:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Board cracking under footstraps! Reply with quote

Use MarineTex epoxy putty to fill the crack. It looks better than epoxy resin or glue, and it sands and shapes well. It cures fast.

If the deck has gone soft there is not much you can do about that, and it ruins the resale value, so fix it cheap, ride it hard, and start saving for a new board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: