myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral boards are poor quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcrispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 2:12 pm    Post subject: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

I recently sold my transition board- a Bic rock that was about 10 years old, and bought a new two year old mistral screamer. What a downgrade. The board takes on water like a sponge from about 10 small rips, tears and holes on the rails. Every day I sail it I discover a new defect. Either the tip is cracked or the pads are peeling off. My Bic never gave me these problems, and was a much older and more heavily used board, while still close in weight to the Mistral. At Mistral, they probably make their boards cheaply due to greed;to force you to replace your equipment more often, along with a meaningless design change du jour to make your gear obsolete. I say this strategy has backfired. Ill never own a mistral again. If you just want to look at a board, fine, buy a Mistral, but if you want a fun piece of gear that you can use and use and get comfortable with, you need a Bic or other durable brand.
plabrevo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 8:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

I have been using a Mistal Energy CHS for 7 years without any problem.
screamer268

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 12:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

sorry to here about your experince...but I must say that I have owned many different mfg boards (bic, seatrend, sailboards aruba, mistral, f2). I like to chop jump and wave jump and the mistral is the only one I have NOT craked or broken and I have owned it for 3 seasons. I will probably buy another mistral before any other.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

Sounds like you got stuck w/ a bad board. Sorry. If I were you Id be pissed at the guy who sold me the board, not mistral. My experience has been the opposite. I still sail an 11 year old Equipe and a 5 year old Electron. I jump the Electron ALOT. I just bought a nash 8’11” and yet I have torn the finbox out of a Bic Tempo. And buckled a Bic Adagio. Yes, I’ve destroyed some Bic designs, but I’m not stupid enough to draw generalizations about the company as a whole based on one board’s experience. I’ve also buckled a 1986 Equipe, had an 89 Hi tech delaminate. My point is, this is windsurfing. You will snap booms, break masts, tear sails, wet suits, and probably some body parts. Welcome to the club
mirhosseini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 2:00 am    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

Obviously with a screen-name of screamer 268 this guy must work for the company. This kind of comments are definitly company sponsored propaganda trying to deviate public opinion from the real truth and the real truth, my friends is that Mistral makes AWFUL BOARDS!
ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 11:20 am    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

If your board has rips, tears,and holes in the rails why did you buy it? If you PUT a ding in a board, any board, it need to be out of the water and fixed PROPERLY. Note: Ding stick, tape are temporary fixes! I have heard recently of people bitching that their board fell apart for no apparent reason yet they had a ding that was never taken care of..
As far as Mistral goes, I own one (Floater), I bought it used, and it rocks. Lots of flat landings (I hope Mistral doesnt read this cause that voids the warranty)and I cant hurt it!
So, think about what you are askind these companies to do whent you bitch about their boards... If you buy a car and run it into a tree, do you think the company would take it back?
sickforwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 5:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

Dont call me by my brand-name - I would have bought a lighter board if I could have afforded it at the time - but I bought a Screamer 268 three years ago and Im still stoked by it. Im 180#s and love to bump and jump and after three years this board is still in great condition - no leaks, tears or delams. I understand the newer boards have probs but if Screamer268 has a board like mine Ill defend his opinion.
PS I also own or have owned, Hifly, Bic, WSH, Protech and two custom boards. I know good and bad boards...
jimithej

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Hosseini;
Who made you the God of board quality?

Arent you are the one that dinged your board and did not have the common sense to drain it and let it dry out before you patched it? Arent you the one that has dents and scratches all over the rails of your board yet still has the audacity to blame Mistral for a ding in the rail?

If you thought the ding was Mistrals fault why did you wait for more than a year before you tried to have it warrantied? And if you really thought you had a valid warranty claim, why would you include a threat in that claim?

Lets see, your board is a year and a half old and has a ding in the rail and a 3 patch on the nose where who knows what happened. Because of this you deserve a free board? Because of this all Mistral boards are awful?

As a sales rep I do my best to replace any defective boards. But there has to be at least some evidence of a defect. Something more than a ding in the rail or a patched nose. As most sailors know, those things can happen to any board.

One last thing, if you are going to quote someone, you should really make an effort to be more accurate. I did not say we could not afford to replace every defective board. I said we could not replace every dinged board. Do you understand the difference?

Jim Johnstone
Mistral Sales Rep
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 4:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Mistral boards are poor quality Reply with quote

My Mistral Experience:

I have a blue-green Mistral Flow 284 as my light wind board. It is phenomenal. Ive sailed it very hard and often and have never been able to ding it! The shape itself is also a world-beater. Turns and jumps great for a big board and gets me out there ripping in 15 knots when 99% of the folks are heading home to watch Oprah.
~George
iWindsurf.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: