myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Titanium Boom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 10:05 pm    Post subject: Titanium Boom? Reply with quote

I might have the opportunity to get my hands on some 1 dia. Ti tubing and am thinking of having our machine shop bend me up a boom.

Depending on how much material I can get (and what the wall thickness is), Im thinking of making it a fixed end at first to possibly match a couple of my favorite sail specs.

The problem that I think I might run in to is with the front end. I took a look at windance.com for front ends and found a nice Chinook one for $27!

Only problem is that I want my boom to be one continuous piece from clew tip to clew tip with a welded spreader holding the ends apart and providing a place to attach my outhaul. I dont want to cut the material at the front end to suffice a mast clamp. Suggestions?

If all else fails, Ill design my own boom front end and go that route.

Questions... How does Ti hold up to Salt water? Do you think a 1 Ti tube will be as stiff or as light as a Fiberspar all carbon of similar size?

As far as hand grips go, thats not my main concern for right now. I Can always figure that part out later. I am more interested in whether or not Im just going to be wasting very expensive material.

Later.
Adam
rmoore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 10:28 am    Post subject: RE: Titanium Boom? Reply with quote

Titanium is known for light weight and fatigue resistance, I dont think it will be as stiff as Carbon or even Al for the same size. 1 seems to be a little small for a boom.You might be able to fab a mast cradle out of delron or nylon stock, put the Ti thru it and make the bends. You can then use some boom head parts to make the lever assembly. All in all this is a pretty ambitious project. I think you will end up with a very lite but soft boom that probably would be great for a gal who only uses one smaller sail.
allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Titanium Boom? Reply with quote

Stiffness is partially determined by the elastic modulus of the materia, E. The higher the better, Titanium is 16 million/in^2, al is ten. Carbon fiber (Fiberspar may or may not tell you what their modulus is but is should be at least as high as TI) can go anywhere from 14 to over 50. Stiffness to weight is determined by E over density. Density of Ti is .16 lb per cubic inch, al is .10 lb/in^3 carbon fiber about .07 lb/in^3. Given these numbers and considering only stiffness to weight (carbon booms seem strong enough) CF is by far the superior choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: