myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail choice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 2:30 pm    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

I dont know your weight, but I have thought of this idea too, extending the Bay season. I bought a 7.0 and hardly use it. It seems I am the only one on the water when its that light. Yet, I can get a few extra days. Not sure it is worth it.

However, I do use my 6.5 a lot during the season. Its a NP V8, which is 4 cams. I like the cams because it helps with upwind performance. I only like the very new camless designs, which is probably out of your budget. I would recommend buying something similar, w/ cams.

I am about 165lbs. I sail the V8 6.5 on my 278, which is a nice combo, that works well with a very popular V8 5.5.

hope this helps..
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 6:12 pm    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

I dont think so. Especially if you get a fiberspar or NP mast, it really is pretty painless.

I like the new camless stuff, but its pricey. Cams still give you better performance for slalom.

I have had some pain rigging an older NP V8, but was ok after I got the right mast (Fiberspar).

I know the V6 is pretty good sail too, and less cams. So, that might be a good buy as well.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 3:13 pm    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

You need to answer two questions before we can give you a good answer.

1. Whats your largest sail now? A ~meter gap at that range is fine, so if your largest sail is a 5.0-5.2, a 6.0 or 6.2 is a nice gap.

2. What kind of sailing do you do? For just blasting back and forth in straight lines (i.e., slalom sailing), cams are OK as long as your luff sleeve is slim for easy water starts. But if you want to sail B&J, cams -- even one -- are a hindrance IMO. Cams stiffen a sails responsiveness in maneuvering, so my 6.0s optional single cam got thrown in my van forever after one reach with the cam. But when its blowing a good 6.0 on the Columbia, we can have sweet 3 to 4 foot swell to play on, so maneuverability is important.

Ther have been excellent camless (we just called them RAF) sails on the market for a decade, such as Hurricanes, Northwave, Sheldon, and others, so used ones may be readily available. They sure are in Hood River.

Cams help high-end upwind racing, but quickly become superfluous in lesser challenges. I havent had a cam since the 80s except in my seldom-used 6.6, and if I ever replace it, it will be with something camless. I dont race, so I just have no interest in cams. Theyre fine if one doesnt maneuver while sailing and doesnt mind putting up with rigging and derigging cammed sails. But theyre just not necessary, IMO.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 5:05 pm    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

MIke \m/ --

He said SF bay area which is B&J on higher wind days, but late in the season its low wind...which is slalom level. He indicated his largest sail was smaller than 6.0, and was looking at getting something larger (like a 6.0).

Thats why I recommended the cam sails. I agree the camless are much better in B&J conditions.

I sail there and like sailing with cams on light days..
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 1:14 pm    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

I wasnt referring so much to the venue as to preferences. Some sailors just PREFER B&J or slalom regardless of the terrain. Especially on lakes, well have half a dozen guys on 6.0s in the same spot, and half may be drawing their lines with rulers while others are slashin and bashin. The foot or two of swell accompanying 6.0 winds will allow either in most areas, so its often riders choice. In fact, the wide-open speeds achievable on a 6.0 or 6.5 on a lake can produce some exceptioally LOOONG jumps on small chop/swell, and add some adrenaline to what might otherwise be just a run-of-the-mill swerve. Its those choices, more than the height of the bumps, that I think affects a sail choice.

Mike \m/
breakwnd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 11:37 am    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

I sail SF bay mostly at a spot that only blows hard in July. My 92 7.2 single cam gets more use than any other sail. It jumps and swerves just fine for me and the cam helps for planing when twenty sailors are looking at three on the water. I enjoy flatwater speed and can work on jibing without worrying about simply surviving. It comes down to a question of what your budget really is and how flexible you are about when you can sail. I know the new gear has better performance (I had to buy a new wide body board), but if I have time to sail and I have to use my 9.0 to plane I will be having fun with the others who sail these sail sizes. If you go larger than 7.5 I would buy a newer used sail as the vintage sails I use are more durable, but heavier in the jumbo sizes.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 3:23 am    Post subject: RE: sail choice? Reply with quote

Very Well said mike. I totally agree with you and your opinion. And yes We do jump very looooooooong in the lake (when we can).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: