myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
non-destructive sail help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromIndy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:33 pm    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

Sail are durable just wash it off before you leave the water,making sure there is no sand on it.Before
you unrig let it dry as long as you can,most sail bags have vents on them for moisture to escape.I never get my sail completely dry before it is rolled up so dont make it a major concern.Depending on sail you may need to loosen the battens straps before you remove mast.I would try rolling from top to bottom first, only remove battens if you need to.Your sail shoudnt tear but avoid creasing it when handling.When I was learning to hook in I landed on top of my sail many times,it took the abuse and asked for more.
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

I hear you. Sails are expensive and good performers are a find. However I try, I have never been able to dry a sail before putting it in its bag. This has never hurt one of mine. Ive never seen mildew, for example. Never felt it has bagged out because of moisture absorbtion which, I suspect, doesnt happen. However!!! Keep it out of THE SUN. In Hatteras, where we rig everything, nesting the sails together and tying them down before retiring each night, I peg a tarp to the groung and store them, nested, under it. Mine is reflective and tough. This keeps the sun off. It also keeps them from blowing against nail studded siding and posts when the wind comes up at night. Also, I have just discovered 303 Protectant which, may or may not really work but the hype and personal accounts are VERY convincing. 303 is advertised as SPf 40 for your stuff, and has been tested on sails. It did brighten the colors on my old, cherished 5.0. Im expecting great things from it. Sand, it has been said, is death to sails and other equipment. Rig and de-rig on grass if possible. We have a couple of places where there is only sand and I am going to, I swear it, lay out a tarp when I sail at these places and rig and derig on it. Im going to stake out my little square of ground and rig on it. When Im out, anybody else is welcome to use it. Whatever you can think of to do for your sail (that makes sense), do it! Just do it! It might be a nuisance like staking out a tarp but, I notice when I climb in Moab, Utah, people bring blankets and belay from them making sure their ropes are coiled on the blankets. That seemed silly until I saw how the fine sand worked its way into my rope. Just do it. If enough of us do it it will become the thing to do. I am designing a low profile tarp-tent for my rigged sails thats easier to set up and use than the tarp which, while simple and cheap, has its hassels. No time soon, it appears. Dont wait for me. I have bigger ideas than energy to carry them out. Just do it and know Im with you on this. It has been argued that, in the northeast we dont have to protect our stuff because the sun isnt strong enough...but...Ive now seen my sails haze and have seen several of others similarly hazed, shatter. It has also been argued that you shouldnt bother because, what the hell, if sails didnt wear out we wouldnt replace them and that wouldnt help the industry advance and you wouldnt get to try the new better stuff. I think the industry is going to sink or swim on its own with no regard to what I do with my gear. And, if I take care of my sails, they will bring a better price when I sell them for those new ones with the great range and low end. The farther my sailing dollar goes, the more I sail, the better I get, the more I can sail, the better I get, the more gear I need...? Well, maybe.
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 2:58 pm    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

these are the major damage contributors:

1. dont leave it lying in the sun

2. dont crease the monofilm

3. dont fall on the sail

rising it off once in awhile is a good idea.

If you get any loose threads, fix them with
Aqua Seal.
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 1:55 am    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

good points about the tarp and the sand. very true.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 1:30 am    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

dont know why, but rolled up wet sails from fresh water tend to mildew/fog (at least for me), salt water on the other hand has never mildewed/fogged my sails. go figure?? but mildew/fog can
can be cleaned. I just dont remember the remedi. have fun..
jcharde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 7:16 pm    Post subject: RE: non-destructive sail help Reply with quote

On 303 protectant:
I cant vouch for the stuff, but heres where to get it: http://www.303products.com/. I have had a couple mono sails shatter in the cold weather (on Long Island, NY) and may give this stuff a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: