myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Decision, Small Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vjwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 2:41 pm    Post subject: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Im 150 pounds, and have been sailing on and off (mainly off) for years. Now I live in Sacramento (Rio Vista) and am getting back into the sport! Im currently on a 130L?, 10 Bic Rock N Roll and finding it to big for my 4.8 and smaller sails (no figure!). With the big board I am starting to get some jibes (long time since I was in Aruba!), but want to have fun also in the chop. Looking for a 2nd hand short board around five to ten years old that will fill the bill, and I desperately need good advice as I dont want to be buying another board for a while. Am thinking of something around 100L. Maybe an old E Rock. Got a line on a 95 Bic Vivace (270cm) but am a little worried Ill never be able to jibe it. Your advice would be appreciated.
gtokishi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

See if you can find a Mistral Screamer II 278 or (older) a BIC Adagio. I live both of them. A little bigger but a lot floatier is the F2 Xantos 285. Theyre all worth looking into.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 10:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

I think there are a couple of issues here, Rio Vista is pretty gorge like, swells, chop, high wind, and current. When its windy, and you are on youre 3.5 and lower, you need a board that will ride through the chop well, that is something around 70 liters. That is a very small board for you at this stage...but you will find that it probably will jibe better than a floatier board that just bounces out of the turn.
opinions??

So, if you can find a decent board with enough rocker to get through the chop, and maybe start with a board that is closer to 90 liters, to sail on lighter days. Then graduate to a less floaty board for higher wind performance (70 liters).

Dont get something too flat for Rio. Try for a convertible or a larger wave board.
vjwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

I can relate to bouncing, thats for sure. Ill look for something in the 90 to 100L range. Do you know how I could find out the amount of rocker a 95 Bic Vivace 270cm has (I havent seen the board), or can you recommend any other models?
vjwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 2:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Salute (SP?) Sylvian,

I like the name Skywalker. I was doing a fair bit of unintentional skywalking last Friday at Rio in 20 mph gusts and chop on the coffee table. Wouldnt the Veloce 288 at 9 6 give me a similar ride?

Luke
vjwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 2:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Thanks. Ill check out the Screamer and F2 but the Adagio is to much like my coffee table.
gtokishi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 8:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

You might try the Screamer 268. It might suit your needs a litle better. Im 185.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 11:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Man, for Rio Vista chop Id sure consider a plastic board -- Tiga, HiFly, etc. They are infinitely smoother-riding than epoxy or polyester boards, and some of the plastics were found by WSMag to be faster than race boards in chop.

Mike \m/
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2000 12:09 am    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Once you learn to carve a jibe on a short board, you will never go back. I have sailed at Rio Vista and you generally see everything there from 82 wave rockets to 9+ slalom boards. At 150 pounds and a 4.8 sail, you should have no trouble staying on top an 86 no-nose design board or wave board. If you buy something too big, you will just be back to buy another one. Get a board that will fill the bill for the way you want to be sailing in 2 years.
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2000 12:20 am    Post subject: RE: Big Decision, Small Board Reply with quote

Another good place to check out used gear is at www.windance.com. They have photos for most of their used gear so you can get a good idea what the different models look like. They can ship anywhere for about $75.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: