myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Krashing Kites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joehardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 3:27 pm    Post subject: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

What are we as windsurfers supposed to do when sailing close to kiteboarders anyway? Sure, on the beach kite guys are all business while they are setting up (God forbid you ever touch their lines which are usually covering the entire beach) yet alot of these guys act like they are totally helpless out there on the water. They dont give you right of way when youve got it cuz their stupid kite lines are all over the place. I for one am fed up with all of this kite crap. Ive crashed someones kite before with my mast when the guy refused to give right of way and ill do it again! I think it even ruined his lines (happy swimming!). Of course all I had to do was remove the tangled mess from my rig and restart while kiteboy was left flailing. Im sick of watching these guys always looking at their kites and not where they are going; then when they do finally look up for a split second its always that same oh sorry, I didnt see you right there in front of me look on their face. I just dont get it, where is the fun in jumping if your just going to go straight downwind while hanging like a puppet on a string? All these kite guys are always like I get sooooo much air with a kite. Duh, your hooked into a f***ing parachute. On one particularly windy day a kiteboarder almost landed on top of me because he was carried so far downwind from jumping. These guys think that its all cutting edge and shit. Its not and they are a menace to respectful sailors. I havent met a kiter yet who would give right of way at a moments notice and the reason is; they dont want to depower the kite and park it in neutral (lines straight up) because that would slow them down and they would have to restart. What this says to me is they are all trying to rewrite sailing ettiquite to say that kiteboards now have right of way no matter what. I say go find a deserted beach and do your little puppet air thing to your hearts content. But as long as your sailing with windsurfers, you had better give right of way lest we crash your silly kite device and leave you out there with a wakeboard strapped to your feet and a big soggy mess to drag back to shore. Or better yet, dont sail during anything but a light wind day when there are no windsurfers out. Heavy wind and kiteboarders are a recipe for disaster because of the inherent lack of control. Now you know - krashing kites is kool, kool, kool!
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

so much for kiting being the rage..

this is a tough call. kiting will be popular in places where the wind is really no good for windsurfing. I agree there is an issue with mixing kiters with windsurfers. they need to sail separately..due to the fact windsurfers are largely stuck in a tack , while kiters roam around.

dont get me wrong, I like the idea of kiting, but I am a serious windsurfer...yet I can see the problem.

its going to be a tough issue.
rasdpm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 7:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Its not a tough issue. If the kiter cant control his rig well enough to follow sailing etiquette and respect the space of those on the beach, he doesnt belong on the water. It blows me away that these guys expect us to be tolerant of them but they cant respect or tolerate even those on the beach, expecting all others to be on the look out and get the hell out of the way whenever theyre in trouble. Until last weekend I was of the mindset that theres room for us all, but I noticed some nasty attitudes of kiters yelling at adults and kids on the beach, faulting them for where they chose to sit. Take those tudes to the WWF, not the water.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 4:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Maybe theres plenty or room where you sail, but thats not true everywhere. And when there IS plenty of room just 200 feet away, why do some beginning kiters choose to block an entire launch area with their kite lines, then whine when we disturb their lines to enter and exit the water? Just as we whine and walk on sails when some ignorant windsurfer lays his rig across a narrow launch, well whine even louder when some self-centered kiter blocks a whole bay with his lines. Its about space and consideration, not newness.

Mike \m/
joehardcore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 12:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Hey dude, check this out: I own two kites and have my very own homegrown kite board for light wind days. So you see, Im not jealous at all. Instead, I have a LEGITIMATE BEEF with beginner kiters who shouldnt be learning at advanced sailing spots. Im far from being middle age my brotha, and I still like windsurfing more than kiting (imagine that). I just dont like that dangling downwind feeling when airborne. I dont know about you or robbie or pascal, but I do know about the kooks who get in everybodys way with no regard for right of way. Keep on kiting holmes, more power to ya; just dont let your lines cross my tack when ive got rights.
hawkeye789

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 7:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Hopefully, the kite hype and hoopla (e.g. the extreme sport of the new millenium) will start to fade soon. I ran across a reality check in another message board which I found very interesting. It was posted by somebody in the windsurfing industry who was involved with the early development of kites . . .

Kites are serious sources of unpredictable power and ive seen them lift an
unsuspecting user free of the water and drag them hundreds of feet out of
control . . . I had a lot of enthusiasm for it (kitesurfing), knowing it
would quickly capture the free time of many radical windsurfers. but after
seeing that several of those highly experienced watermen have already
dropped out of it after having serious life threatening incidents, i
reconsidered my own enthusiasm for it as an individual watersport.

I have too much fun windsurfing (even in light winds)to deal with the hassles and hazards of kiting. Ive heard it is hard on the knees and to me it is not the sport of choice in high winds. And, it seems to me that after a few light air jumps on a kite I would get bored. All the writhing around the kiters do while in the air seems kind of comical to me. I guess maybe they are bored too.
tshred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 10:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

your a fag
Kitemare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 10:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Some valid issues and attitude problems on both sides of the fence.
Windsurfers: Kiting is here to stay and will most likely get bigger than windsurfing! In the future we will see more innovations to reduces the kite lines on the beach. Its a new sport and things will change. Yes, New kitesurfer should watch their kite AND where they are going. Beginners in windsurfing and Kitesurfing all go though that lack of contol phase. Follow the right of way rules which should includes, give right of way to the beginners. Almost every time I windsurf in a crowd, a beginning windsurfer sails right at me on port tack. Do I run them over and say happy swimming? --No way. Its the same with the kitesurfers, give the beginners some slack, theyre just beginners!!!
Kitesurfers: Tread lightly and help expand our awesome new sport Smile
When a windsurfer is in close range, fly your kite high, or park it in neutral until they pass.
There is lots of room for everyone to enjoy the water. Before you jump look around. We don`t need hate on the water, leave that to the jet-skiers Smile Windsurfers, like Robby, the King!.... are to be thanked for helping our new sport to grow rapidly. I love windsurfing AND Kitesurfing.
Kiters and Windsurfers: look where your going, look before you jump or jibe, give right of way,
and respect everyone on the water. Light-up everyone. water-sports rock.
Learn fast, kite safe, get stoked, and share the enthusiasm
Jeff
http://www.kitemare.com
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 12:49 am    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

Damn dude,, thats harsh.

I would of just said: AMen.
From where Im from, you must say Amen after a prayer....
Nitram

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 7:29 am    Post subject: RE: Krashing Kites Reply with quote

How can you be so negative about an activity which has been adopted by all the winsurfing heroes like
Robby Haish
Pete Cabrinha
Ken Winner
Mike Waltze
I think that windsurfing community will be the first to extend their no wind days below 15 knots to kitesurfing.
Try it and enjoy.
An ex avid windsurfer now kitesurfer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: